True to form

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Dear Teachers,

Is "true to form" always used in the negative sense? Could you say,
for example, "True to form, he did a perfect job"?

S

Susie Smith

YY said:
Dear Teachers,

I believe it has a negative connotation.

True to form, he did a sloppy job.

:wink:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In British English it can be used in a positive context:

Arsenal, true to form, won the match.

However, it has a slightly negative idea, suggesting that they are winning too easily, as if it's becoming a bit boring.;-)

Tokyolily

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Susie Smith said:
YY said:
Dear Teachers,

I believe it has a negative connotation.

True to form, he did a sloppy job.

Dear Susie,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. It was very helpful. I discovered this website recently and I am delighted. What a wonderful idea! I work as a simultaneous interpreter for Japanese and English so I am sure I shall be asking many more questions in the future and would be grateful if you could help me in the future as well. Thank you again.

With kind regards

Yuri Yoshikuni

Tokyolily

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
tdol said:

However, it has a slightly negative idea, suggesting that they are winning too easily, as if it's becoming a bit boring.;-)

Dear tdol,

Thank you for your reply. It was very interesting to know the difference between American and British English in the usage of the phrase.

With kind regards,

YY

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Yuri Yoshikuni said:
tdol said:

Dear tdol,

Thank you for your reply. It was very interesting to know the difference between American and British English in the usage of the phrase.

With kind regards,

YY

Hold on. You've made an erroneous assumption. :( With regards to the phrase 'true to form', it can have either a positive connotation or a negative connotation. Both are used in North American as well as in British English.

All the best,

Yoroshiku onegai shimasu :D

Tokyolily

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Casiopea said:
Yuri Yoshikuni said:
tdol said:

Dear tdol,

With kind regards,

YY

Hold on. You've made an erroneous assumption. :( With regards to the phrase 'true to form', it can have either a positive connotation or a negative connotation. Both are used in North American as well as in British English.

All the best,

Thank you to you too, Casiopea-san.

YY

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Casiopea said:
Yuri Yoshikuni said:
tdol said:

Dear tdol,

With kind regards,

YY

All the best,

Itsu demo ii, wa. :D

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I only said British English because I wasn't sure about AE usage. I do that because sooften I found there to be a difference. :lol:

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
tdol said:
I only said British English because I wasn't sure about AE usage. I do that because so often I found there to be a difference. :lol:

Well, from the audience's point of view, this comparision thing is, in my opinion, turning fairly odious. :evil:

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Casiopea said:
tdol said:
I only said British English because I wasn't sure about AE usage. I do that because so often I found there to be a difference. :lol:

Well, from the audience's point of view, this comparision thing is, in my opinion, turning fairly odious. :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.