Two Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ahmed88

Guest
When I was a child, gentlemen used to raise their hats to female acquaitances on the street and I was taught to mind my Ps and Qs and to give up my seat for my elders and betters on the bus. now I am grown-up, no one either raises their hat to me or offers me a seat on a crowded bus.
(English Vocabulary in Use / advance.Cambridge Un. Press )

Q1- What does "to mind my Ps and Qs" mean?

Q2-Why has the author used Their instead pf his? "raises their hat"

Thanks in advance.
Regards
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Mind your Ps and Qs = have good manners, be polite
Raise your hat- a polite way of greeting someone
;-)
 
A

Ahmed88

Guest
tdol said:
Mind your Ps and Qs = have good manners, be polite
Raise your hat- a polite way of greeting someone
;-)

Thanks a lot for your kind answer
But my second quwstion about "Their" . Why has the author used Their instead of his?
 

bmo

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2003
Ahmed88 said:
But my second quwstion about "Their" . Why has the author used Their instead of his?

Ahmed88, is it because it is gentlemen not gentleman?
 
A

Ahmed88

Guest
bmo said:
Ahmed88 said:
But my second question about "Their" . Why has the author used Their instead of his?

Ahmed88, is it because it is gentlemen not gentleman?

"no one either raises their hat" ???
My question about their
Should not have been "his" as far as we have a singular subject and verb +s.
Regards
 

Francois

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
Ahmed88 said:
bmo said:
Ahmed88 said:
But my second question about "Their" . Why has the author used Their instead of his?

Ahmed88, is it because it is gentlemen not gentleman?

"no one either raises their hat" ???
My question about their
Should not have been "his" as far as we have a singular subject and verb +s.
Regards
It's the usual way to avoid "his or her". One often use it, don't they?
However, one could argue that only men raise their hat, so the gender would be defined in this case. Maybe it is just natural to the author to use "they" with no one, in all cases.

FRC
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top