Unless--Conditional

Status
Not open for further replies.

chouhito

Member Type
English Teacher
Hello evrybody.
Please:
1) I want to speak in my class about the use of "unless" and what I studied and found was that it can be used only with conditional type 1.But I found that it can be used with type 2 (unreal condition) and at the same time I found elsewhere that it can be used with both types 2+3!!! so please in which cases "unless" can be used? and in which cases it can not replace 'if not"?

2) What about condional type 2, we know that and were taught that with "to be" we use "were " with all persons "If I were/you were/he were/it were.....) but I found this and am puzzeled: a) she promissed to work harder if she wasn't expelled....b) I wouldn't eat that food if I wasn't hungry!!!!!
THANK YOU for any help

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1 You can use it with other conditionals; Google gives many examples here: "unless i were - Google Search
It is less common, but its not an absolute rule.
2 In formal language the subjunctive ('were' for all forms) is preferred. Traditionally, it was regarded as the correct form. However, it is very common to use 'was'. Exams like Cambridge accept both forms. It is something that some people feel strongly about, so being aware that in formal contexts, the subjunctive is favoured is useful. ;-)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You're welcome. I have seen other questions from posters who had also been taught that it is wrong/impossible to use '/unless' with anything other than the first conditional. ;-)

chouhito

Member Type
English Teacher
thnx a lot Mr (or Mrs or Miss) for your help, but excuse me I have another question which is in which case we can't replace "if" by "unless"? then can we replace "if" by "when" ,if so please give me some examples...and thank you in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.