Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is the future (continuous) tense in the 'until' clause correct?

He has to live with his parents until he will leave/ will be leaving school for college.

My reason for the tense comes from Martin Hewings's ADVANCED GRAMMAR IN USE (2005 edition): It is still a few months until he will be leaving for college.

Could I ask native English teachers to help me with this question? Thank you very much.

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher

He has to live with his parents until he will leave/ will be leaving school for college.

My reason for the tense comes from Martin Hewings's ADVANCED GRAMMAR IN USE (2005 edition): It is still a few months until he will be leaving for college.

Could I ask native English teachers to help me with this question? Thank you very much.

Here's my take and my reasoning, Joham.

Martin H's example is a one time, new event so 'will' is warranted, Joham. But yours, with 'leave school', is a routine event that follows from going to school.

Now, how do you think it should be worded?

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

He has to live with his parents until he will leave/ will be leaving school for college. These two choices, although not incorrect are unnecessarily complicated, especially the second one.
Most native speakers will say '...until he leaves school for...'.

Status
Not open for further replies.