Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Hi,

Here in the US I hear people use 'down' and 'up' referring to the geographical locations, for example

How's the weather up there?
How was your trip down to Florida?

Is it common for Americans to think of a place being north or south of their current location?
If you can't tell if the place is south or north, do you replace it with 'over here/there'?

Also, I noticed that 'down' is used more often than 'up'. As an example, you can walk down the street but I rarely hear about walking up the street. Does this has anything to do with travelling down being historically more important then travelling up?

Thanks.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, "up" and "down" are often used to refer to geographical north and south. "East" and "west" are often referred to as "over" there. But there are exceptions. In Chicago "Downtown" refers to the central business district. One goes "Downtown" no matter what direction it is. In New York City, "uptown" and "downtown" usually refer to north and south. "Crosstown" usually is used for east and west.

We walk "up the street" as well as "down the street", but "down the street" is more common.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It can mean north/south. It can mean elevation (as in go "up to the mountains" or "down to the beach"). Or it can just be a figure of speech.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And in the U.S., people in the east say "out west" and people in the west say "back east" when talking about the continental 48 states.