US? the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hello, dear teacher!

Would you please advise me how to properly write: US or the US (meaning the United States?); USA or the USA?

Thanks a lot!

Marina

R

RedMtl

Hello, dear teacher!

Would you please advise me how to properly write: US or the US (meaning the United States?); USA or the USA?

Thanks a lot!

Marina

It would entirely depend upon the context. You will have to be more specific about how you wish to write your sentence.

laurad

Member Type
Other
Hi,

I posted the question without being registered first, then i registered in the Forum.

I don't have a context. I just wanted to know the rule how to use it and at what times. Could you please help me with the rule?

THanks!

MArina

R

RedMtl

Hi,

I posted the question without being registered first, then i registered in the Forum.

I don't have a context. I just wanted to know the rule how to use it and at what times. Could you please help me with the rule?

THanks!

MArina

It's still going to depend on context. However, some examples:

(First, personally, I would always use a full stop after each letter, but I expect you'll get a lot of differing commentary on this.)

I live in the U.S.A.

The item in question is made in the U.S.A.

That piece of clothing is U.S. Army issue.

As you can see, if you were to use the word "the" in speaking, it might well fit when writing.

In the third example, your full term would be United States Army. The word "the" is not needed in that sentence. However, by comparison:

The U.S. Army recruits many young people.

That one does need "the."

I'd suggest trying both, and attempting to judge the result on how it sounds read aloud. It won't solve everything, but it will help guide you to some extent.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.