Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The power went off when I was climbing up the stairs. It was pitch dark and I couldn't see a thing. I held on to/held the railing while walking up so I didn't slip off.

Can someone please tell me if the above paragraph makes sense? Have I used held on to correctly? Can it be replaced with gripped on to/grasped on to? What's the difference between hold on to and hold?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The power went off when I was climbing up the stairs. It was pitch dark and I couldn't see a thing. I held on to/held the [STRIKE]railing[/STRIKE] handrail while walking up so I didn't slip off.

Can someone please tell me if the above paragraph makes sense? Have I used held on to correctly? Can it be replaced with gripped on to/grasped on to? What's the difference between hold on to and hold?

You can used "gripped the railing", yes. You don't really need to say "gripped on to...".

The only difference (in this context) between "hold" and "hold on to" is that "hold on to" suggests that you are doing it for safety reasons. Most people would probably hold the handrail (or the bannister) when walking up or downstairs, just from habit, but if you "hold on to" or "hang on to" it, it suggests a stronger grip.

daemon99

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks a lot, emsr2d2! I hope slip off and went off have been correctly used. Would you recommend any better expressions in their place?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot, emsr2d2! I hope slip off and went off have been correctly used. Would you recommend any better expressions in their place?

The power "went off" is fine. I would probably simply say "slip" when talking about being on a staircase. We also "trip up/down" the stairs when we mean "to stumble".

If you actually "fell off/slipped off" a staircase, I would think that you had fallen over the side of an open-sided staircase.

Status
Not open for further replies.