Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Can I say "the peripheral vision covers the majority of our field-of-view"? I know it doesn't sound right but I have difficulty finding an alternative to "majority", any suggestion is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Spetsnaz26

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Major part /larger part of our visual field.
Thanks, but I want to stress the peripheral vision's covering a much larger area than the focal vision. It should be something concise but to the point.

naomimalan

Member Type
English Teacher
Thanks, but I want to stress the peripheral vision's covering a much larger area than the focal vision. It should be something concise but to the point.

What about "peripheral vision covers by far the largest area of our field of view/vision"? (I wouldn't put the definite article - the - in front of 'peripheral vision'.)

Is this true by the way? If so, it's very interesting!

I've heard it said that men have tunnel vision and women peripheral vision. Do you know if it's true? :):)

Spetsnaz26

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What about "peripheral vision covers by far the largest area of our field of view/vision"? (I wouldn't put the definite article - the - in front of 'peripheral vision'.)

Is this true by the way? If so, it's very interesting!

I've heard it said that men have tunnel vision and women peripheral vision. Do you know if it's true? :):)
Thanks, but I don't think it's necessary to add "by far" because the human visual system has always been working in this way.

Focal vision is right at the center of our field of view, and it moves with our eyeballs. It gives much greater detail than the peripheral vision does, but is only about 2 degrees wide. By comparison peripheral vision covers a much larger area.

As for the difference between men and women, I'm not really sure. But what I do know is, tunnel vision develops when you look through something like a high-power gunsight for a long time. If women have only peripheral vision then I would feel very sorry for them because you can't seriously tell what's going on in our vision with just the peripheral vision function. Try reading the screen without actually centering your vision on it and you will get the idea,hehe.

You can always check related information out on sites like wikipedia and answers. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.