Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi there, I have a question regarding the usage of 'no'. I know "no" can be used with both singular and plural nouns but I can't decide when I should use a singular noun and a plural noun. Could anyone please tell me the rule? Here are some contexts:

• Suppose you have seen a funny video on social media. The video is funny as well as sarcastic. in this kind of context I have seen people use 'no' with singular nouns. They often say No comment. But my question is can I say "No comments"

• If you see outside of a ladies' coach of a train, you'll find the phrase saying "No men allowed". Can i say "No man allowed" instead?

• If you post a photo on Facebook you usually a caption on the the above but if you want to express your fellings that your photo is so good that it doesn't need any captions, what will you say "No caption needed", or "No captions needed"?

I have seaeched on the internet and I have found ""No caption needed" is more common.

• No road(s) can go where I can go.

Should I use a singular or a plural noun In the above context? I think both the singular and plural noun are grammatical.

As usual, if there is anything ungrammatical in my question, please correct it.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think "no comment" is generally singular.

2 and 3 are plural.

4 does not make sense to me.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A pilot, miner, astronaut, explorer, sailor or (figuratively) bookworm or meditator might say the fourth example.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi there, I have a question regarding the usage of 'no'. I know "no" can be used with both singular and plural nouns, (compound sentence) but I can't decide when I should use a singular noun ​(or) a plural noun. Could anyone please tell me the rule?

The only "rule" is that singular is singluar and plural is plural.

Here are some contexts:

1. Suppose you have seen a funny video on social media. The video is funny as well as ​snarky. ​In this kind of context I have seen people use 'no' with singular nouns. They often say No comment. But my question is can I say "No comments"​?

No. It's idiomatic. There's only one way to say it.

If you ​look at the entrance to a ladies' coach of a train, you'll find the phrase saying "No men allowed". Can I say "No man allowed" instead?

No. It's another idiom.

Pay attention to your numbering.

If you post a photo on Facebook​, you usually ​see a caption ​(delete on the the) above​, (compound sentence) but if you want to express your ​feeling that your photo is so good that it doesn't need any ​caption, will will you say "No caption needed", or "No captions needed"?

Singular: caption.

But, actually, "No caption needed" is a caption. Very zen!

I have searched the internet, and I have found ""No caption needed" is more common.

Naturally. If one isn't needed, it's common sense that ten aren't needed, either.

4. No road(s) can go where I can go.

Should I use a singular or a plural noun In the above context? I think both the singular and plural noun are grammatical.

I do, too.

As usual, if there is anything ungrammatical in my question, please correct it.

As usual, I did!

Last edited: