Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I remember (vaguely) seeing the verb 'quote' being used in the following context:

"in xxxx(name of a book), the author quoted the performance figures of xxx(name of an aircraft) as ......(description of the figures the guy 'quoted')....."

So does 'quote' in this sentence imply that the author copied these performance figures from another source (as in a formal quotation where you have to explicitly name the source of the information), or is it possible that 'quote' simply means that the guy mentioned these figures in his book that could be his original work and not something cited from another source?? I looked 'quote' up in several online dictionaries but they all seemed to suggest if somebody 'quotes' something, it has to be an act of copying from another source.

Thanks in advance.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Quote means he copied the figures from the other guy. Hopefully he did it the right way!

Spetsnaz26

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Quote means he copied the figures from the other guy. Hopefully he did it the right way!
thanks, so it has to imply 'copy from' and effectively exclude the possibility that whatever the guy quoted was his own original work?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, if I QUOTE figures from another source, I must use the data that other source provided, exactly as they provided it.

If I BASE my figures on numbers provided by so-and-so, I did something with the numbers myself. They gave me raw numbers, and I created the percentages, for example.

Does that help?

Spetsnaz26

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes, if I QUOTE figures from another source, I must use the data that other source provided, exactly as they provided it.

If I BASE my figures on numbers provided by so-and-so, I did something with the numbers myself. They gave me raw numbers, and I created the percentages, for example.

Does that help?
I think, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.