Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Hi in this post I just wanted to verify whether the word hardly can be used to describe doing something with force as although I know the use is not common in this sense it can at times seem apposite. Therefore, all i want to know is that as Merriam Webster states in 1:[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] with force [/FONT]:[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]vigorously[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] as one of its delineations of the term is at all possible to use the term in such a manner despite the confusion it may cause due to its other connotations and if so could you give an example.

Thanks.
[/FONT]

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi in this post I just wanted to verify whether the word hardly can be used to describe doing something with force as although I know the use is not common in this sense it can at times seem apposite. Therefore, all i want to know is that as Merriam Webster states in 1: with force :vigorously as one of its delineations of the term is at all possible to use the term in such a manner despite the confusion it may cause due to its other connotations and if so could you give an example.

Thanks.

It is not possible to use "hardly" in that way.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE, I have never heard "hardly" used in this manner. Yes, it's in the dictionary, but I would not use it.

We would say someone or something was "working hard" not "working hardly."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was very surprised to see that definition in the dictionary. I have never heard it used that way.

"He was working hard" is almost the exact opposite of "He was hardly working".

Status
Not open for further replies.