usage of time adverbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

songstress4life

Is it, or has it ever been, correct to say "on yesterday" or "on tomorrow," as in, "He celebrated his birthday ON YESTERDAY."

Also, in the scenario, "a man met his wife on Monday and proposed to her the next Wednesday," does this mean that he proposed two days later or that he proposed the following week?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
songstress4life said:
Is it, or has it ever been, correct to say "on yesterday" or "on tomorrow," as in, "He celebrated his birthday ON YESTERDAY."

Also, in the scenario, "a man met his wife on Monday and proposed to her the next Wednesday," does this mean that he proposed two days later or that he proposed the following week?

The onlytime I can think of them being used would be with the meaning 'about', most probably in poetry, but not as a simple preposition to locate them in time.

The proposal is ambiguous, but I would go for 9 days later because if it were just two days,you could just say 'on Wednesday'. However, this is open to interpretation I feel. ;-)

solace

songstress4life said:

Hi,
I don't think your sentence is correct. We say on Monday, Tuesday..but we don't say On yesterday or On tomorrow as these adverbs cann't come with a preposition.
I agree with Tdol, the man proposed to his wife the following week. However I feel a little confused.
:)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's confusing, but I think that the word 'next' pushes it into the week after. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.