Use of Percent Adjectivally

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Allthatjazznj

I am editing a humanities book and am writing out the word "percent" in percentages and, under 100, writing out the number. BUT...my question is, how should I punctuate the following:

"He is 100 percent accurate." Is the space between the 100 and the word "percent" hyphenated, as "He is 100-percent accurate." I can't find style guidance on this.

Thanks!

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I wouldn't hyphenate that. I might hyphenate an adjectival use:
He's a 100-percent player who gives his all. ;-)

A

Allthatjazznj

Thanks. I won't hyphenate the phrase. In fact, of course it isn't an adjectival usage but, I suppose, an adverbial usage: "He is accurate 100 percent (of the time)."

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Allthatjazznj said:
I am editing a humanities book and am writing out the word "percent" in percentages and, under 100, writing out the number. BUT...my question is, how should I punctuate the following:

"He is 100 percent accurate." Is the space between the 100 and the word "percent" hyphenated, as "He is 100-percent accurate." I can't find style guidance on this.

Thanks!

I agree with TDOL, but 100 percent seems a bit informal to me. Wouldn't "completely" or "totally" suffice?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think it's adverbial. My favourite percentage is the one used by football commentators when they say a player gave 110%. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.