Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I want to have a better grasp of the use of prepositions in sentences? Are there any quality website(s) recommended? The more, the better. Thank you for helping.

Deepurple

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I thing our great friend Google.com would help a lot.
Well, IvanV, I have tried it before, but it really likes searching a needle in the haysack. Could any scholars recommend again?:roll:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Could you narrow things down a bit? Prepositions are chaotic and cover many different areas, from location, time, etc, to phrasal verbs, etc. What exactly are you loong for? There are plenty of things like lists of verbs + prepositions, etc, but I sense that this is not what you're after. ;-)

Deepurple

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Could you narrow things down a bit? Prepositions are chaotic and cover many different areas, from location, time, etc, to phrasal verbs, etc. What exactly are you loong for? There are plenty of things like lists of verbs + prepositions, etc, but I sense that this is not what you're after. ;-)
Exactly, Tdol. Sometimes when a verb, adjective, and noun occur altogether in a sentence, it is difficult for me to decide whether the preposition should go after with the verb or adjective or noun.
For example, "The book will be of enormous value in assisting learners to use prepositions confidently and idiomatically."
According to Longman Dict, the preposition for value is "of"; however, the preposition after "value" in the above sentence is "in". With which word the "in" is going after? There may be some other examples but I only think of this at the moment. Thanks for helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.