Verb: were vs. was

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmo

Today's San Jose Mercury News:

"For Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., Bush's attempts during the first part of the speech to justify the war in Iraq was misleading when he noted that former United Nations weapons inspector ......"

Is "was misleading" wrong?

Thanks.

BMO

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, personally I think it is. I would have used were there because attempts is in the plural. ;-)

bmo

Thanks Red5. Newspaper can be wrong too, but if they are quoting someone else, it should have a "(sic)" after the wrong place, I think. BMO

Red5

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Indeed, using a (sic) would have made it clear that they were aware of the error. ;-)

J

jzink

(sic)?

Red5 said:
Indeed, using a (sic) would have made it clear that they were aware of the error. ;-)

What exactly does (sic) mean? Is it an acronym or abbreviation of some sort?

Jessica

Red5

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: (sic)?

jzink said:
Red5 said:

What exactly does (sic) mean? Is it an acronym or abbreviation of some sort?

Jessica

sic
adv.
Thus; so. Used to indicate that a quoted passage, especially one containing an error or unconventional spelling, has been retained in its original form or written intentionally.

;-)

bmo

Re: (sic)?

sic is a Latin, I think it means something like "If it is wrong, let it be, we did not change anything." If a newspaper prints a ransom note, and there is a spelling error in the note, they probably would put a "(sic)" after the error.

This is from a dictionary: adv. Latin Thus, so. Used in written texts to indicate... a word is not a mistake and is to be read as it stands." I think "a mistake" indicates that a mistake of the newspaper printing.

BMO

Status
Not open for further replies.