Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
"But Clinton was the first to arrive in Indiana to down a shot and a beer chaser and she has only ramped up those efforts this week, meeting voters in kitchens, talking to women about pay inequity and riding shotgun in a pickup truck to highlight the cost of gas."

hi,
what does the underlined text mean, please? does the bold word mean "randomly"?
thanks

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Down a shot and a beer." This is a drink commonly known as a "boilermaker" - you drink a shotglass of whiskey, followed by several sips of beer. (Traditionally, if you're drinking boilermakers, you'll have several shots of whiskey per mug of beer.) By the way, boilermakers are pretty much a working man's drink after a hard day of labor, so Mrs. Clinton was most likely trying to show her affinity for the blue collar worker.

Riding shotgun means you're sitting in the front passenger seat of a vehicle. The phrase dates back to times when the driver of a carriage had to hold the reins and control the horses, and the passenger next to him carried a weapon and fended off attackers.

jctgf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
"Down a shot and a beer." This is a drink commonly known as a "boilermaker" - you drink a shotglass of whiskey, followed by several sips of beer. (Traditionally, if you're drinking boilermakers, you'll have several shots of whiskey per mug of beer.) By the way, boilermakers are pretty much a working man's drink after a hard day of labor, so Mrs. Clinton was most likely trying to show her affinity for the blue collar worker.

Riding shotgun means you're sitting in the front passenger seat of a vehicle. The phrase dates back to times when the driver of a carriage had to hold the reins and control the horses, and the passenger next to him carried a weapon and fended off attackers.

thanks.

''My roommate and I were doing a Power Hour-when you down a shot of beer every minute for 60 minutes...''

''she paused to down a shot of Patron tequila, then raced back out...''

in these sentences, could it be an expression instead of the name of a drink? does it mean a sip of alcoholic drink like that ones we see the cowboys having on western movies?

thanks.

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
thanks.

''My roommate and I were doing a Power Hour-when you down a shot of beer every minute for 60 minutes...''

''she paused to down a shot of Patron tequila, then raced back out...''

in these sentences, could it be an expression instead of the name of a drink? does it mean a sip of alcoholic drink like that ones we see the cowboys having on western movies?

thanks.

A shot is not a sip, but a glass of whatever swallowed in one go.

Status
Not open for further replies.