very or much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Could you correct this sentence, please?

The sentence: „I don’t like very science-fiction films and this seems at least a little science-fiction.

1) I suppose the first mistake is to write: …seems to be at least a little… - is it true? Is the sentense possible to write without the „to be“?

2) My teacher told me I can’t write „I don’t like very science-fiction“, but „much“ instead of „very“. Is it true? I believe her, but I think that when I write that it is „very science-fiction“, then, it is right, isn’t it?

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Lenka said:
Could you correct this sentence, please?

The sentence: „I don’t like very science-fiction films and this seems at least a little science-fiction.

I don't like science-fiction films very much and this film is a little like science-fiction.

Mister Micawber

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
'It is very SF' is perhaps colloquial but not yet acceptable in standard English. And this is the only way I can make sense of your sentence, Lenka:

'I don’t like science-fiction films very much and this seems (to be) at least a little like science-fiction.' (Another somewhat improbable option would be 'a little science-fictional')

The 'to be' is optional. The 'like', if that is your meaning, is required . The 'at least' appears redundant but is acceptable for emphasis.

Oh, hi Cassy-- yours is faster, briefer, clearer.

Lenka

Member Type
Student or Learner
But I wanted to say: I don’t like films that are VERY science-fiction.
(I think it’s the same as: I don’t like films that are very boring… -for example)

Mister Micawber, thank you for your explanation (and many thanks to you others, of course) – I think it was the best.
As I was reading your explanation, I was thinking of the „science-fiction“ is an adjective. If I can understand it well, you say, that if I wanted to use it as an adjective, I would have to write „science-fictional“. Then, I think I understand it. So I should have written: I don’t like very science-fictional films.? Am I right?
I looked into my English dictionary to find how to say the adjective of science fiction (in Czech it is vedecko-fantasticky – without accent). And I found only word science fiction (not science fictional).
So, how is it?

Lenka

Mister Micawber

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
That's why I called it 'improbable', Lenka-- because the adjective didn't exist, to my knowledge, and I had to coin it, adding the same suffix that turns 'fiction' into 'fictional'. Still, your teacher might more likely have accepted that, rather than 'very science-fiction', which has an informality to it inappropriate to writing.

Actually, it's hard to imagine-- a film is either a SF movie, or it is not. Perhaps you would have been better to rephrase the idea: 'I don't like science fiction movies that are very unreal/unbelievable/fantastic'.

Status
Not open for further replies.