Vocabulary

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

apparrode

Guest
- I don´t really understand the words lifelong and long-term well, especially long-term.

For example, when I say sb is a lifelong friend, do I mean :

a) This person has always been my friends, all through my life ?
b) This person will always be my friend?
(In other word, does it concert past, future or both?)

- What about long-term? I only found examples such as "long-term effects, employment", but I can´t make up sentences. Can you give me at least three different examples?

Thanks,
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Someone who is a lifelong friend has been your friend all your life.

Long-term is a relative term, but it generally implies a duration of time measured in years.

Welcome to our friendly forum.

:hi:
 
A

apparrode

Guest
RonBee said:
Someone who is a lifelong friend has been your friend all your life.

Long-term is a relative term, but it generally implies a duration of time measured in years.

Welcome to our friendly forum.

:hi:

---------

And when I say: "I hope he is a lifelong husband"? Does it mean that I want to remain married to him all my life?

- Could you please give me some examples of long-term?
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
apparrode said:
RonBee said:
Someone who is a lifelong friend has been your friend all your life.

Long-term is a relative term, but it generally implies a duration of time measured in years.

Welcome to our friendly forum.

:hi:

---------

And when I say: "I hope he is a lifelong husband"? Does it mean that I want to remain married to him all my life?

- Could you please give me some examples of long-term?

I don't think you can say lifelong husband. It's not possible to have been married to someone for your whole life.

long-term

  • He made a long-term commitment. He signed a ten-year contract.

That's all I can think of right now. A Google search would probably yield quite a few examples.

:)
 
K

kain

Guest
lifelong means "lasting the whole of a lifetime"

long-term refers to "the period of time continuing from now long into the future" :)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
kain said:
lifelong means "lasting the whole of a lifetime"

long-term refers to "the period of time continuing from now long into the future" :)

That is true.

:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top