Vocabulary

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,
I have three questions to ask.

No.1
Every effort was made to reduce the budget___.
a. substantially b. effectively
The key is 'a'. I think 'b' is also correct. The only difference is they emphasize in different aspects. Is that right?

No.2
The speaker_______ the need for cooperation in the project that we were about to undertake.
a. emphasized b. discussed
The key is 'a'. Why isn't be correct?

No.3
Although his father wanted him to be a doctor, he ws_______in his decision to go to acting school.
a. resolute b. resolved
The key is 'a'. 'b' isn't correct because we can only say 'be resolved to do sth.' Is that right?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm not sure that it makes sense to reduce a budget effectively.
2 It isn't really wrong, just not as good as 'emphasised'. Some might argue that it requires more than one person to discuss something.

3 Yes
;-)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
Dear teachers,
I have three questions to ask.

No.1
Every effort was made to reduce the budget___.
a. substantially b. effectively
The key is 'a'. I think 'b' is also correct. The only difference is they emphasize in different aspects. Is that right?

No.2
The speaker_______ the need for cooperation in the project that we were about to undertake.
a. emphasized b. discussed
The key is 'a'. Why isn't be correct?

No.3
Although his father wanted him to be a doctor, he ws_______in his decision to go to acting school.
a. resolute b. resolved
The key is 'a'. 'b' isn't correct because we can only say 'be resolved to do sth.' Is that right?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

I agree with TDOL's answers, but I also agree with you that "discussed" would work in #2. :wink:
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
No.1
Every effort was made to reduce the budget___.
a. substantially b. effectively

Tricky sematics: 'substantial' refers to an amount, whereas 'effective' refers to a manner. Given 'a' and 'b', 'a' is the better choice because 'budget' refers to an amount.

No.2
The speaker_______ the need for cooperation in the project that we were about to undertake.
a. emphasized b. discussed

I agree with tdol and Mike's suggestion. 'discuss' refers to more than one person. It's unlikely the speaker discussed the need for cooperation on her own--unless that is she has more than one personality. :shock:

No.3
Although his father wanted him to be a doctor, he was_______in his decision to go to acting school.
a. resolute b. resolved
The key is 'a'. 'b' isn't correct because we can only say 'be resolved to do sth.' Is that right?

a. He was determined. (i.e. resolute Adj. Be + Adj. :D
b. He made up his mind. (i.e. resolved Vb. Be + Vb. :(

Active: He resolved to....
Passive: It was resolved by him to....

All the best,
 

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you very much for your explanation.
I understand No.1 and No.3 now. I felt confused at No.2 because in the abstract of an article people always begin their sentence with 'This paper discusses....'. That's why I thought it is correct to use 'discuss'. Or is there another meaning in this context?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang




tdol said:
I'm not sure that it makes sense to reduce a budget effectively.
2 It isn't really wrong, just not as good as 'emphasised'. Some might argue that it requires more than one person to discuss something.

3 Yes
;-)
 

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you very much for your explanation. I have just replied todl's explanation to show why I thought 'discuss' is correct. I hope he'll think we are right.

Jiang
MikeNewYork said:
jiang said:
Dear teachers,
I have three questions to ask.

No.1
Every effort was made to reduce the budget___.
a. substantially b. effectively
The key is 'a'. I think 'b' is also correct. The only difference is they emphasize in different aspects. Is that right?

No.2
The speaker_______ the need for cooperation in the project that we were about to undertake.
a. emphasized b. discussed
The key is 'a'. Why isn't be correct?

No.3
Although his father wanted him to be a doctor, he ws_______in his decision to go to acting school.
a. resolute b. resolved
The key is 'a'. 'b' isn't correct because we can only say 'be resolved to do sth.' Is that right?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

I agree with TDOL's answers, but I also agree with you that "discussed" would work in #2. :wink:
 

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see. I replied to todl just now to show why I thought 'discuss' is right.

Jiang
Casiopea said:
No.1
Every effort was made to reduce the budget___.
a. substantially b. effectively

Tricky sematics: 'substantial' refers to an amount, whereas 'effective' refers to a manner. Given 'a' and 'b', 'a' is the better choice because 'budget' refers to an amount.

No.2
The speaker_______ the need for cooperation in the project that we were about to undertake.
a. emphasized b. discussed

I agree with tdol and Mike's suggestion. 'discuss' refers to more than one person. It's unlikely the speaker discussed the need for cooperation on her own--unless that is she has more than one personality. :shock:

No.3
Although his father wanted him to be a doctor, he was_______in his decision to go to acting school.
a. resolute b. resolved
The key is 'a'. 'b' isn't correct because we can only say 'be resolved to do sth.' Is that right?

a. He was determined. (i.e. resolute Adj. Be + Adj. :D
b. He made up his mind. (i.e. resolved Vb. Be + Vb. :(

Active: He resolved to....
Passive: It was resolved by him to....

All the best,
 

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,
Thank you very much for your reply. Now I know what it meant. However, there is another problem----I don't know how to bump.

Are you Chinese, too? Why did you choose such a horrible picture to represent yourself? You don't have to reply if you think this is an impolite question. I just asked it out of curiosity.

Best wishes,

Jiang
shane said:
jiang said:
What does this mean?
Jiang
Red5 said:

It means 顶. Bump the post back to the top of the list. :D
 

shane

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
jiang said:
Hi,
Thank you very much for your reply. Now I know what it meant. However, there is another problem----I don't know how to bump.
It's easy; just reply to a thread, and it will automatically go to the top! In fact, you'd had bumped this thread by writing your message here. :D

jiang said:
Are you Chinese, too?
No, I am English. I live in China though. ;)

jiang said:
Why did you choose such a horrible picture to represent yourself?

It's C.Montgomery Burns (also known as Mr Burns) from the Simpsons. I don't really know why I chose his picture. Maybe because he looks funny, and in some ways, so do I. ;)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
Thank you very much for your explanation. I have just replied todl's explanation to show why I thought 'discuss' is correct. I hope he'll think we are right.

Jiang

It certainly fits the sense of definition #2:

dis·cuss (dĭ-skŭs')
tr.v., -cussed, -cuss·ing, -cuss·es.
To speak with another or others about; talk over.
To examine or consider (a subject) in speech or writing.

:wink:
 

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you very much for your help. However, I guess my computer knowledge is too poor to know how to reply a threat. I can't find it. On the other hand why should I bump it?

I think there is cultural differences between us. You think it is funny while I think it is frightening. It's very interesting.

Best wishes,

Jiang
shane said:
jiang said:
Hi,
Thank you very much for your reply. Now I know what it meant. However, there is another problem----I don't know how to bump.
It's easy; just reply to a thread, and it will automatically go to the top! In fact, you'd had bumped this thread by writing your message here. :D

jiang said:
Are you Chinese, too?
No, I am English. I live in China though. ;)

jiang said:
Why did you choose such a horrible picture to represent yourself?

It's C.Montgomery Burns (also known as Mr Burns) from the Simpsons. I don't really know why I chose his picture. Maybe because he looks funny, and in some ways, so do I. ;)
 

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you for your confirming the usage of the word. Now I see.

Jiang

MikeNewYork said:
jiang said:
Thank you very much for your explanation. I have just replied todl's explanation to show why I thought 'discuss' is correct. I hope he'll think we are right.

Jiang

It certainly fits the sense of definition #2:

dis·cuss (dĭ-skŭs')
tr.v., -cussed, -cuss·ing, -cuss·es.
To speak with another or others about; talk over.
To examine or consider (a subject) in speech or writing.

:wink:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
Thank you for your confirming the usage of the word. Now I see.

Jiang

MikeNewYork said:
jiang said:
Thank you very much for your explanation. I have just replied todl's explanation to show why I thought 'discuss' is correct. I hope he'll think we are right.

Jiang

It certainly fits the sense of definition #2:

dis·cuss (dĭ-skŭs')
tr.v., -cussed, -cuss·ing, -cuss·es.
To speak with another or others about; talk over.
To examine or consider (a subject) in speech or writing.

:wink:

No problem. It may be that this use of "discuss" is more AE than BE. :wink:
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I didn't say it was wrong, but said it wasn't as good as emphasised. Would co-operation need discussing or emphasising? Unless the speaker is going to bore us to death, I think emphasis is enough. ;-)
 

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

Jiang
tdol said:
I didn't say it was wrong, but said it wasn't as good as emphasised. Would co-operation need discussing or emphasising? Unless the speaker is going to bore us to death, I think emphasis is enough. ;-)
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top