Votes is votes

Status
Not open for further replies.

micaelo

Member Type
English Teacher
Hello, I'm reading a humorous article about the length to which some people are willing to go when canvassing for votes. The title is "Votes is votes" which, to my understanding, is grammatically incorrect. Is this a set expression, some sort of play on words, or simply a made up title for this article? Thank you

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Hello, I'm reading a humorous article about the length to which some people are willing to go when canvassing for votes. The title is "Votes is votes" which, to my understanding, is grammatically incorrect. Is this a set expression, some sort of play on words, or simply a made up title for this article? Thank you

It is a type of slang. As you have appreciated it should be 'votes are votes'. It is used as a sort of funny way to draw attention to a campaign.

naomimalan

Member Type
English Teacher

There's an idiomatic expression "as sure as eggs is eggs" which means "absolutely sure". I don't know when it dates back to or why it should be "is" and not "are" but obviously the title of your article is based on that expression. :-D:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.