Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
We we'll fix the wall lights when we are going to do the wall panelling work because we need to chase the wall and run the cable for power supply.

When we'll do the wall panelling work we we'll fix the wall lights because we need to chase the wall and run the cable for power supply.

Are the above sentences grammatically correct? Do they have the same meaning?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

We'll fix the wall lights when we do the wall paneling work ....

And:

When we do the wall paneling work, we'll fix the wall lights ....

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We We'll fix the wall lights when we are going to do the wall panelling [work] because we need to chase the wall and run the cable for power supply.

When we'll we do the wall panelling [work], we we'll fix the wall lights because we need to chase the wall and run the cable for power supply.

Are the above sentences grammatically correct? Do they have the same meaning?

You used "we we'll" twice. I don't know if you meant to write "We will" or if you accidentally added "we" before "we'll".
When you say "fix the lights", do you mean "repair the lights" or "fix the lights to the wall"?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It probably means attach the lights to the wall. Like almost all dwellings in Goa, my mother-in-law's house is built of stone. Her electrical wiring runs through plastic conduit attached to the walls with brackets because the cost of cutting chases into the stone would be high.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Since the OP has not revisited this page since May 2021, we'll probably never know! However, for information, BrE would not use "fix the wall lights" in that way. That would mean only "repair" to me. If I was going to attach them to wall, I'd say "put the wall lights up".

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Pro2021 your two sentences have the same meaning and are arguably correct in grammar, but they are unnatural. In English we use the present tense in the first clause rather than the future. "When we attach (affix) the lights to the walls we will cut chases for the wiring." I know it's illogical, but that's what English does.

PRD2021

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You used "we we'll" twice. I don't know if you meant to write "We will" or if you accidentally added "we" before "we'll".
When you say "fix the lights", do you mean "repair the lights" or "fix the lights to the wall"?
Thank you,

I accidentally wrote twice that word "We".

These are new wall lights, which need to be installed but there is no power point. So we are informing the client that we'll do this work along with wall panelling. All in one goal. Should I write the sentence as follows, and use the word "along" instead of "when".

We can do this work (installation of wall lights) along with the wall panelling, and we can chase the wall and cabling for new power supply. All in one goal.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
As Glizdka's question tends to imply, "all in one goal" doesn't make sense.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
A chase is a groove cut in a masonry wall to conceal cables or pipes. Since you are installing the wall panels, you do not have to do that - the wall panels would concealed the electrical cables behind them. "Chase" in construction is used more as a physical thing rather than an activity to avoid confusing the gerund with the activitiy of pursuing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
... the wall panels would concealed conceal the electrical cables behind them. "Chase" in construction is used more as a physical thing rather than as an activity to avoid confusing the gerund with the activitiy activity of pursuing.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd say run a cable as it's the first mention of it. It's just one of a number of cables in the room.

PRD2021

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Do you mean you'll do those things at the same time?
Yes, all at the same time.
We can do this work (installation of wall lights) along with the wall panelling, and we can chase the wall and cabling for new power supply, so that we can do all these pending work at one go. Please advise if this is worded correctly.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, but the average person probably won't know what you mean by "chase" there, so you might want to use less technical language.