What are the differences between those words? Electrical vs electric vs electronic

Status
Not open for further replies.

belly_ttt

Member Type
Student or Learner
What are the differences between those words? Electrical vs electric vs electronic

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Electronic devices are not usually mechanical.

Member Type
Academic
May I be so bold? There is no difference in meaning between electric and electrical. Both are words that describe electricity, circuitry, charge, ions, etc. - all the physical stuff. 'Electronic' more aptly describes appliances - things that use electricity. Hope that helps.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A calculator, say, is electronic, but machines that are mechanical with moving parts, like engines, are electric/electrical

Uncle M

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would suggest that the adjective electric is normally used to describe something that is or uses electricity, for example: electric current, electric motor.

Electrical means relating to electricity: electrical engineering, electrical technology.

Member Type
Academic
Dave, I think you're probably spot on. In my opinion, electronic is an older and more outmoded term. I would ask whether electrical and electric are interchangeable terms, and that in fact the former is used in a more 'high-brow' way or at times when a little more credence could be given to a term? ELECTRIC ENGINEERING sounds naff, but ELECTRICAL sounds better.

Uncle M

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sorry for the delay!

Electronic refers to what is known as solid-state electrics, using printed circuit boards instead of conventional wires, microchips, lower voltages etc. A computer is a prime example of something electronic (in other words, miniaturised). Electric means simply powered by elecricity. Many electric products incorporate electronics, such as an electric washing machine where electronics work the programme, telling the motor when to turn, the heater to switch off, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.