what are the most common english error students tend to make

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonghai

Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2004
what are the most common english error students tend to make in essays.
How can one trys to avoid these mistakes.
 

gonghai

Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2004
what are the most common english error students tend to make in essays.
How can one trys to avoid these mistakes.
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Don't you want to do better than try?

:wink:
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Don't you want to do better than try?

:wink:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: what are the most common english error students tend to

gonghai said:
what are the most common english error students tend to make in essays.
How can one trys to avoid these mistakes.

I think the types of errors will vary from student to student. Certainly, errors with articles (including omission), punctuation, and verb tense would be among the most common.

I'm afraid that there is no easy remedy. Practice and seeking correction are good ways to learn. :wink:
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:
  • What are the most common English errors students tend to make in essays? How can one avoid those mistakes?

It would seem that punctuation, capitalization, and plurals belong on the list.

:wink:
 
S

Susie Smith

Guest
RonBee said:
Try:
  • What are the most common English errors students tend to make in essays? How can one avoid those mistakes?

It would seem that punctuation, capitalization, and plurals belong on the list.

:wink:

I'd like to add that errors are partially determined by the student's mother tongue since there are so many different language structures.
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Susie Smith said:
RonBee said:
Try:
  • What are the most common English errors students tend to make in essays? How can one avoid those mistakes?

It would seem that punctuation, capitalization, and plurals belong on the list.

:wink:

I'd like to add that errors are partially determined by the student's mother tongue since there are so many different language structures.

I am sure that is true.

:)
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other

Ulli

Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2004
Re: In reply to Susie Smith

Casiopea said:
Ulli said:
MikeNewYork said:
Ulli said:
May I suggest you that link regarding your question :?: :wink:
Well, that won't hit it completely but it will also help. :idea:


http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html


Ulli

That's a good site. I think it applies to NES as well.


Could you help me with the Arconoym "NES"? :oops: THX :wink:

Ulli

Yes. Excellent link. :up: Thank you. :D

NES: Native English Speaker(s)

You're welcome :wink: Is NES a dictonary :?:

Ulli :wink:
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
Re: In reply to Susie Smith

Ulli said:
You're welcome :wink: Is NES a dictonary :?:

Ulli :wink:

No. NES is an acroynm which stands for Native English Speaker(s).

NES also stands for:

National Energy Strategy
Not Elsewhere Specified
National Employment Service
 

Ulli

Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2004
Re: In reply to Susie Smith

Casiopea said:
Ulli said:
You're welcome :wink: Is NES a dictonary :?:

Ulli :wink:

No. NES is an acroynm which stands for Native English Speaker(s).

NES also stands for:

National Energy Strategy
Not Elsewhere Specified
National Employment Service

THX. Casiopea for the information, that's new for me :idea: :wink:

Ulli
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Um, try:
  • That's new to me.

:)
 

gonghai

Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2004
Re: what are the most common english error students tend to

i guess the most common ones are

verb tense
subject and verb agreement
and reference pronoun
and comma mistakes

what do you think
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top