the tenses
false friends
homonyms
if-clauses

What else... :oops: :?:

Isn't that enough :?: :)

oh yeah the if and the not only....clauses

Francois

You guys forgot the damn phrasal verbs, that inextricable maze designed to trip up the poor souls who once dared to learn some English, but whom the Gods cursed to meander purposelessly forever, trudging through the mud of their wordless thoughts, bemoaning their fate, confounded with their own ignorance.

FRC

Ulli

You're right, Francois :oops: I forgot to mention those painful :lol: phrases....I know it's hard work to get them into your brain.... :idea: :wink:

Do you need a link? 8)

johnny_bdn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Francois said:
You guys forgot the damn phrasal verbs, that inextricable maze designed to trip up the poor souls who once dared to learn some English, but whom the Gods cursed to meander purposelessly forever, trudging through the mud of their wordless thoughts, bemoaning their fate, confounded with their own ignorance.

FRC

I wouldn't said it better!, you're such a poet man!!

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And he only used one phrasal verb. ;-)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
johnny_bdn said:
Francois said:

FRC

I wouldn't said it better!, you're such a poet man!!

Pardon me, but it's I couldn't have said it better.

:)

demet81

Member Type
English Teacher
I think it is up to the students' native language. For example I am teaching English to Turkish students whose native language is subject-dropped language. So while speaking English, they drop subject and change the place of verbs and objects.

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You're right, Francois :oops: I forgot to mention those painful :lol: phrases....I know it's hard work to get them into your brain.... :idea: :wink:
Do you need a link? 8)

Your mother tongue influences what you find easier/more difficult in learning a new language. Speakers of Germanic languages generally have less trouble with phrasal verbs than speakers of Romance languages. I imagine that - while not easy! - they are less difficult for you, Ulli, than for François. ;-)

b

Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Germany
FRC

Your name suggests you are French. Phrasal verbs are Germanic not Romance in origin. Understandably you can't feel comfortable with them. But don't worry English has for every Germanic phrasal verb a corresponding Romance word (uslally long words - multi-syllabic):
give up: abandon
give in: surrender

Common Mistakes should be organised as follows (for the sake of convenience):
1. lexical common mistakes (False Friends, collocations, phrasal verbs, confusing words (economic/economical)....
2. Grammar Mistakes (tenses, number, prepositions, article...)
3. Specific Mistakes: Mistakes depending on learner's culture and language interference
3. Mistakes in Pronunciation and Spelling
3. Register and Style Mistakes (formal/informal English, business register..), Englishes: Be / AmE...

Last edited:

Omar!

Member Type
Student or Learner
I'd like to add that errors are partially determined by the student's mother tongue since there are so many different language structures.

Yes , I agree that effecting of the mother toungue is common error for most of students .

Status
Not open for further replies.