What book have you read recently(in English)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nil

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I have started reading 'Blind Assassin' from Margaret Atwood..

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
The next on my list is Hilary Mantel's "Wolf Hall".

Have you read this one?
Is it a good book?
I noticed this book won the Man Booker Prize of 2009.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
I have just finished reading 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak (AusE).
This is the best novel I have read in 2010 up to now.

The story is marvelous and touching, although fictitious.
The author has a special peculiar writing style, he writes prose as it were poetry. The English is at advanced level and the book is somewhat lengthy, more than 500 pages. But if you find it difficult to read, you may first read a translated version, in your mother tongue, after that you may read the original.

It is a worth reading book, I recommend it.

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
Have you read this one?
Is it a good book?
I noticed this book won the Man Booker Prize of 2009.

Excellent. Not an easy read for those who do not have knowledge of the period and its confused politics.

clevercells

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
I have recently read many books but enjoyed "Outliers : The Story Of Success" by Malcolm Gladwell.

It's an interesting book talking about success and trying to analyse and study successful people and determine success factors, what i didn't agree is that the took the example of the USA,it puts a question mark here because those factors must be adapted with most cultures for them to be universal.The environment varies from country to another so some factors can appear in one place but disappear in another.

I enjoyed the law of 10.000 hours tand it says that everyone who spends 10.000 hours in a special field becomes a genius in it,you can read the book for more details.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
I have recently read many books but enjoyed "Outliers : The Story Of Success" by Malcolm Gladwell.

It's an interesting book talking about success and trying to analyse and study successful people and determine success factors, what i didn't agree is that the took the example of the USA,it puts a question mark here because those factors must be adapted with most cultures for them to be universal.The environment varies from country to another so some factors can appear in one place but disappear in another.

I enjoyed the law of 10.000 hours tand it says that everyone who spends 10.000 hours in a special field becomes a genius in it,you can read the book for more details.

Hmm, interesting. Have you been counting the hours you spend here in UsingEnglish?

That amount of time is not out of touch. If you work 8 hours a day, everyday, in about 3.5 years you make it.

What are you spending your hours on?

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
I have just finished reading "Linguistics for Non-Linguistis" by F. Parker and K. Riley.
It is an interesting book, I recommend it to all of those who want to start studying linguistics. I also recommend it for ESL teachers who do not have a degree on the subject (like myself).

Last edited:

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
I have started reading 'Blind Assassin' from Margaret Atwood..

Have you finished reading it?
I heard this novel was awarded some prizes. Is it a good book?
Is it easy to read? Is it a page-turner? Do you recommend it?

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Actually, I've read two books :-? ; Jane Eyre (which is ABSOLUTELY THE BEST BK I HAVE EVA READ) & The Ipmortance of Being Earnest.

Hmm, it is very important to me to know that a particular book is "absolutely the best someone has ever read".

I've heard from this book in the interesting movie "The Ugly Truth". A certain character happens to buy all copies of such book she finds in used book stores.
She says the book really touched her, and she looks for a special copy with an inscription from her father which he gave her as a gift. I think maybe this book is a well known one in English speaking countries.
I've learned also there is a movie called "Jane Eyre", but I haven't watched it.

Does anyone has anything else to say about "Jane Eyre"?

ulya

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Azerbaijani
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
HI...I have recently read Lust for life(based on the life of Vincent van Gogh) by Irving Stone..It's wonderful book...

Last edited:

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
HI...I have recently read Just for life(based on the life of Vincent van Gogh) by Irving Stone..It's wonderful book...

Looks like an interesting one. And it is not an expensive book.
It is good to know your opinion about it ulya. I am not exactly a fond of painting, but I guess maybe it is worth to give this book a try.

By the way, I searched the book and I think its title reads "Lust for Life".

ulya

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Azerbaijani
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
Looks like an interesting one. And it is not an expensive book.
It is good to know your opinion about it ulya. I am not exactly a fond of painting, but I guess maybe it is worth to give this book a try.

By the way, I searched the book and I think its title reads "Lust for Life".

Yes,I am sorry ,name of this book"Lust for Life"
This book based in real events and on the letters Vincent Van Gogh wrote his brother Theo..Irving Stone wanted to explain the difficult life and how he began,flourished, and died as painter..His pictures has been famous after his death...

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
I've just read "The Book of General Ignorance" by John Lloyd and John Mitchinson.

This is a book I really recommend for learning English as a second language.

I have been hearing that students should begin by reading books of short stories in English.
But I have tried to read some classical short stories (both in AmE and BrE) and they are difficult, mainly the old ones. Usually the author tries to use as much as labored English as possible, aiming to enhance the reading pleasure of native speakers. It is really easy to get lost in the plot.

But this little book by J. Lloyd and J. Mitchinson does the job of introducing one to the world of written English quite well. Because the stories are somewhat technical and direct. There are many new and difficult words okay, but you can read with a dictionary aid and learn a lot, and the texts are small (about one page for text on average).

The content of the book is very interesting. Many curiosities such as "Who invented this and that (telephone, radio, etc.)", "Who was the first man to achieve this and that?", "Which is the --est something?" etc. It seems the authors have made their "homework". Although regarding physics the book is not exactly perfect.

I became aware of this book by listening to an interview from one of the authors in a radio program in South Africa. It is an amazing book to read.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
I have finished reading "The Stuff of Thought" by Steven Pinker.

A very interesting book indeed. In fact I recommend it for all UsingEnglish members,
many of the points discussed in this book are exactly the ones discussed in many threads here.

The book is about language in general and how it relates to human thinking, written by an expert in the field. I really enjoyed reading it.

There are more comments about it here:
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...-irrate-men-short-digression-modal-verbs.html
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/101960-direct-x-indirect-object-simple.html

Niki_m

Member Type
Student or Learner
ı strongly think ,those who dont have the habit of reading a book arent aware of what they are missing;-)

ı am about to finish the book Improbable from Adam Fawer and ı've bought Empathy which is also from A.F.
I've read 'New moon' by Stephanie Meyer
I really liked it =D

RHCP_fan

Member Type
Student or Learner
I'm in the missle of Alice in Wonderland, for the 100th time or so. I truly love L. Carrol's books, they're really awesome.
No matter what anyone says, it's one of the best books I've ever read :)

TheJoker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Daniel Defoe - Robinson Crusoe. I loved it.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
I've read "The Shack" by William Paul Young.
In my personal opinion this is not a good book. I didn't like it.
The English is good, but not the ideas behind the book nor the story.

But that is only a subjective opinion of mine, you may find many people who liked it.

In the foreword it is stated maybe the book wasn't written for me:
"A couple of final disclaimers: Mack would like you to know that if you happen upon this story and hate it, he says, 'Sorry ... but it wasn't primarily written for you.' Then again, maybe it was."

felliot

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
United States
The Kite runner...
Is the best book i have ever read.

Status