Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I know that " Girls Bravo" is a Japanese series TV program. But I really don't know what " Bravo" means. I've looked it up, the dictionary told me it's a killer, and an approval cry... something like that. would you please explain the meaning that bravo in the " Girls Bravo"

all bests

vincent

rewboss

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
"Bravo" is used when you want to compliment somebody: it means the same as "Well done". It actually comes from Italian(*) and is often used when applauding musicians or singers.

However, for the name of a Japanese TV series, it might be a waste of time trying to find out what the producers meant by it. It's just a nice-sounding English word.

(*) If I'm not mistaken, in Italian, it means "good man" or "good boy". When addressing a woman you'd probably have to say "brava", and when congratulating an entire orchestra you'd probably have to say "bravi" -- an Italian native speaker might be able to confirm this or correct me. But of course, that would be Italian grammar, and we're speaking English here.

queenbu

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Maltese
Home Country
Malta
Current Location
Italy
"Bravo" is used when you want to compliment somebody: it means the same as "Well done". It actually comes from Italian(*) and is often used when applauding musicians or singers.

However, for the name of a Japanese TV series, it might be a waste of time trying to find out what the producers meant by it. It's just a nice-sounding English word.

(*) If I'm not mistaken, in Italian, it means "good man" or "good boy". When addressing a woman you'd probably have to say "brava", and when congratulating an entire orchestra you'd probably have to say "bravi" -- an Italian native speaker might be able to confirm this or correct me. But of course, that would be Italian grammar, and we're speaking English here.

You're right, rewboss.'bravo' is an adj meaning 'good'. bravo/brava and bravi/brave

androcles

Member Type
Student or Learner
BRAVO is also an Spanish word, is not necessarily Italian. It means Great, amazing, awesome. This expression is frequently used in concerts or when something is perfectly done.

subdolus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Translations for: Bravo

Danish - bravo
Dutch - bravo
French - bravo
German - bravo
Italian - bravo
Portuguese - bravo
Spanish - bravo
Swedish - bravo
Czech - bravo
Slovak – bravo
Polish – brawo
Etc. ;-)

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks for Reboss's expaining. And thanks you all. have a good day, you all.
best regards

Vincent.

Status
Not open for further replies.