What does 'for less' mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
Instead of slinking away disppointed, she looked around and found a better dress-for less. :?:
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
blacknomi said:
Instead of slinking away disppointed, she looked around and found a better dress-for less. :?:

She found a better dress, one for less the price of the one she had been looking for. :D
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
How do you know? Why not less ugly? :shock: :D

Don't you think someone there omitted tooo many words? It is a lazy sentence.
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
blacknomi said:
How do you know? Why not less ugly? :shock: :D

Don't you think someone there omitted tooo many words? It is a lazy sentence.

Good point. Context is helpful. :D

Instead of slinking away disppointed, she looked around and found a better dress-for less.
 

twostep

Senior Member
Joined
May 10, 2004
Casiopea said:
blacknomi said:
How do you know? Why not less ugly? :shock: :D

Don't you think someone there omitted tooo many words? It is a lazy sentence.

Good point. Context is helpful. :D

Instead of slinking away disppointed, she looked around and found a better dress-for less.

Is is also used in store names for off price stores - Ross for Less, Dress for Less ....
 

NewHope

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hmm, I also didn't get "Instead of slinking away disppointed", only could understand "Instead of slinking away and disppointed"
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
NewHope said:
Hmm, I also didn't get "Instead of slinking away disppointed", only could understand "Instead of slinking away and disppointed"

It's a past participle modifying that the person, who is slinking away, felt disappointed. :D
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
blacknomi said:
NewHope said:
Hmm, I also didn't get "Instead of slinking away disppointed", only could understand "Instead of slinking away and disppointed"

It's a past participle modifying that the person, who is slinking away, felt disappointed. :D

Good eye!

Instead of slinking away disppointed (because she couldn't find the dress she wanted), she looked around and found a better dress, one for less (i.e., the price, the hassle/trouble). :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top