What does 'for less' mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Instead of slinking away disppointed, she looked around and found a better dress-for less. :?:

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
blacknomi said:
Instead of slinking away disppointed, she looked around and found a better dress-for less. :?:

She found a better dress, one for less the price of the one she had been looking for. :D

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
How do you know? Why not less ugly? :shock: :D

Don't you think someone there omitted tooo many words? It is a lazy sentence.

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
blacknomi said:

Good point. Context is helpful. :D

Instead of slinking away disppointed, she looked around and found a better dress-for less.

twostep

Casiopea said:
blacknomi said:

Good point. Context is helpful. :D

Instead of slinking away disppointed, she looked around and found a better dress-for less.

Is is also used in store names for off price stores - Ross for Less, Dress for Less ....

NewHope

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hmm, I also didn't get "Instead of slinking away disppointed", only could understand "Instead of slinking away and disppointed"

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
NewHope said:
Hmm, I also didn't get "Instead of slinking away disppointed", only could understand "Instead of slinking away and disppointed"

It's a past participle modifying that the person, who is slinking away, felt disappointed. :D

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
blacknomi said:
NewHope said:

It's a past participle modifying that the person, who is slinking away, felt disappointed. :D

Good eye!

Instead of slinking away disppointed (because she couldn't find the dress she wanted), she looked around and found a better dress, one for less (i.e., the price, the hassle/trouble). :D

Status
Not open for further replies.