what for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

hi all. I have been thinking whether it is correct to say what for to mean 'why' in a casual way. I heard my friends around me using it very often, yet one of my English speaker friend told me that it was incorrect. It wasnt in the proper grammar, she said. what do u guys think of it?

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
darren said:
hi all. I have been thinking whether it is correct to say what for to mean 'why' in a casual way. I heard my friends around me using it very often, yet one of my English speaker friend told me that it was incorrect. It wasnt in the proper grammar, she said. what do u guys think of it?

:smilecol: :smilecol:

I use it very often too. For spoken language i think it's OK. But you remind me of another question.

What are the differences between 'what for' and 'for what' ???

sabrina

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
darren said:

I assume you are asking about scenarios like the following:

A: I want you to come over right away.
B: What for?

A: I want you to come over right away.
B: Why?

In spoken English, many rules of standard grammar are suspended. In these cases, one is asking a question using only one or two words. The rest is understood. In my opinion, "what for" is a bit more informal than "why", but it is used commonly.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
darren said:

I use it very often too. For spoken language i think it's OK. But you remind me of another question.

What are the differences between 'what for' and 'for what' ???

sabrina

In these types of situations, What for? and For what? mean the same thing.

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Expert Mike,

Thank you for always providing vivid examples. It facilitates my comprehension. I'm glad to have a teacher like you.

:lol: sabrina :lol:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
Expert Mike,

Thank you for always providing vivid examples. It facilitates my comprehension. I'm glad to have a teacher like you.

:lol: sabrina :lol:

You're very welcome, Sabrina. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.