what is a tiff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipelette

Member Type
Academic
an English native speaker told me that a tiff is normally used as a quarrel between lover´s: "a lover´s tiff" and that he has never heard it in another context. Is this right? Or could I use it for any quarrel about petty things?

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi pipelette,

There are some definitions and examples which should give an answer your question.

tiff = petty quarrel.

A discussion, often heated, in which a difference of opinion is expressed: altercation, argument, bicker, clash, contention, controversy, debate, difficulty, disagreement, dispute, fight, polemic, quarrel, run-in, spat, squabble, word (used in plural), wrangle. Informal hassle, rhubarb, tangle. See conflict/cooperation.
n. - Krach, Streit, schlechte Laune
v. - streiten, schmollen

tiff
clip_image001.gif
[countable]
a slight argument between friends or people who are in love

tiff with

Dave's had a tiff with his girlfriend.

tiff = a quarrel about petty points

A pint on the table, a lovers tiff , a night out with the lads, a bittersweet marriage.
It is, however, pro-Scottish and when the Labour Party has a tiff with its Unionist bed-fellows in the Tory Party it should not expect the SNP's…
As Shaunagh continued to insist "it was just a tiff ", he refused to contemplate a reconciliation.
He bought that because he once had a tiff with a BBC car park attendant who wouldn't let him in.

Regards.

V.

Member Type
Academic
Although more often than not (and as with all but one of the examples given), 'Tiff' relates to a quarrel between lovers/married couple/girl-boy buddies: for instance, I wouldn't choose to have a 'Tiff' with my mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.