what is better than good but worse than excellent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spetsnaz26

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm designing a presentation handout. I want to describe one of my specialities as "*** understanding of engineering science". I need an appropriate adjective here to take the place of "***". It should be something better than good but just short of "excellent". On a scale of 10, it should be somewhere around 8...I hope this doesn't sound too strange to you but I'm really kinda 'out of adjectives' here.
Thank you in advance!

rj1948

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I'm designing a presentation handout. I want to describe one of my specialities as "*** understanding of engineering science". I need an appropriate adjective here to take the place of "***". It should be something better than good but just short of "excellent". On a scale of 10, it should be somewhere around 8...I hope this doesn't sound too strange to you but I'm really kinda 'out of adjectives' here.
Thank you in advance!
great

Last edited:

Banned
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thank you in advance!
very good
well above average

Snowcake

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
It's written commendable. ;-) I'd rather say clear or competent.

Last edited:

Spetsnaz26

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
thank you,but doesn't 'great' sound a little complacent? I'll give these handouts to a judge team made up of English teachers and it's prudent to keep it somewhat 'low-profile'.

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Thank you in advance!
I suppose that "thorough", "proper", or "profound" are too "strong" for you. These, however, colocate naturally with "understanding" as well as "clear" does. So, as Snowcake suggested, go for "clear".:up:

Spetsnaz26

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I suppose that "thorough", "proper", or "profound" are too "strong" for you. These, however, colocate naturally with "understanding" as well as "clear" does. So, as Snowcake suggested, go for "clear".:up:
Thank you...I think clear's good.

poorboy_9

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
How about the word "Comprehensive"? ...says that you know all about all of it; but sort of says you "ain't " an expert.

Spetsnaz26

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think "exceptional" is at least as good as "excellent". (probably extraordinary and profound are too)

How about "thorough"?
Thorough's a bit too cocky for me,too, I think...I'm just a student...

Spetsnaz26

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
what about "cogent" , " convincing" , "sound" , "impressive" , "well-founded" , "tested"

:-D
Thank you, I think "sound" is great for me.I'm just not sure, does it look natural to put "sound" in front of "understanding"?

Spetsnaz26

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
How about the word "Comprehensive"? ...says that you know all about all of it; but sort of says you "ain't " an expert.
Comprehensive...I've thought about it before...If it does imply that I understand many aspects of engineering science but haven't become an expert of them then I believe it'll surely do. Thank you.

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Comprehensive...I've thought about it before...If it does imply that I understand many aspects of engineering science but haven't become an expert of them then I believe it'll surely do. Thank you.
Then you' d better consider using "sound" and "comprehensive" as both mean complete. Unless an expert does not have a complete knowledge.

beascarpetta

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Austria
Then you' d better consider using "sound" and "comprehensive" as both mean complete. Unless an expert does not have a complete knowledge.

how does " both sound and comprehensive " sound?

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think "exceptional" is at least as good as "excellent". (probably extraordinary and profound are too)

How about "thorough"?

Well I've had good results over the years with "exceptional" ;-) - when something's excellent it is of a standard that exceeds the standards of its class; it is exceptionally good. When something is exceptional, it can also be exceptionally bad or exceptionally interesting or exceptionally <any-other-gradable-adjective>. If a future employer chooses to interpret it as meaning "excellent", that's his look-out (and his lack of education);-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.