Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Dear Sir,

1. What is the difference between "English Home and Home of English (Home of the English Language)?

2. What is ther difference between "Termination of Enployment Notice and Notice of employment termination"?

Thank you and Best regards,
Piak

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Piak said:
Dear Sir,

1. What is the difference between "English Home and Home of English (Home of the English Language)?

Without other context, I would read "English home" as a house in England. It really doesn't imply "home of the English language". The second version has little meaning without context, but it might gain the meaning you seek with additional information.

2. What is ther difference between "Termination of Enployment Notice and Notice of employment termination"?

Thank you and Best regards,
Piak

There really is no difference in meaning. The first uses "termination of employment" as an adjective. In the second, it is a noun, used as the object of a preposition.

Piak

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Thank you Mike New York for your prompt reply.

I have my point of view about the 2nd. question as follows:-

Termination of employment notice : Can it mean that the the notice of employment is terminated?

Notice of employment termination : Can it mean that the notice made for termination of the employment?

That what I understand the difference of those. Am I right or wrong, pleae help explain in more details, thank you in anticipation.

Best regards, Piak.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's possible, but probably illegal. I would regard them as meaning the same as you cannot terminate the idea of notice. You either have it or you don't in British law. I have it. My college cannot decide to change taht and impose it on me. They could employ someone on a contract that had no notice, but not remove the notice. ;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Piak said:
Thank you Mike New York for your prompt reply.

Termination of employment notice : Can it mean that the the notice of employment is terminated?

Notice of employment termination : Can it mean that the notice made for termination of the employment?

That what I understand the difference of those. Am I right or wrong, pleae help explain in more details, thank you in anticipation.

Best regards, Piak.

I think the second is more clear, but it is likely that the meaning of the first would be understood from the contents of the notice.

:wink:

Piak

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Thank you Mike New York and TDOl for your kind response.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You're welcome.:lol:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Piak said:
Thank you Mike New York and TDOl for your kind response.

You're welcome, Piak. 8)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Piak said:

No, it means that the employment itself is terminated.

Piak said:

Yes, it means the person is being notified of of the termination of his employment.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.