What is the meaning of " hirsute"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainbow402

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear Teacher,

What does the author mean here about the word " hirsute" in the following context? My dictionary only interprets it means " having a lot of hair, especially on the face or body".

I suppose the author hinted derisively these politicians are like animals. Am I right? And Is such an expression usual in English?

they are all hirsute politicians trying to outfox one another mustering up braggadocios

Thank you!

Batfink

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
China
Not only does it mean "hairy" or "covered with hair", but it also refers to a rough person; unkempt, unshaven. Disrespectful maybe of their own appearance in manners.

I believe you found this in reference to American politicians' disdain of foreign state visitors?

Horsa

Member Type
English Teacher
I think the author is implying "macho" and no it is not a common expression - I've never seen it before. :)

Batfink

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
China
I think the author is implying "macho" and no it is not a common expression - I've never seen it before. :)

See above. :p

rainbow402

Member Type
Student or Learner
Sirs,

Thanks for your replies. :)

I favor your interpretation, Mr. Batfink. Er, I'm reading that.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Attention: I’m not a teacher.

Hi rainbow402,

On this, New Labor is apparently in agreement with Margaret Thatcher and Hillary Clinton: voters regard hirsute politicians as "shifty" and "radical". Research carried out in America shows that bearded candidates receive 5 per cent fewer votes than clean-shaven opponents

shifty = able to accomplish what is needed; resourceful.

radical = in politics, someone who demands substantial or extreme changes in the existing system.

Regards.

V.

Status
Not open for further replies.