What to call a "server" in a cloth store or any type of stores?

kwangin526

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
Hi there,

For restaurants, waiters and waitresses are people serving the customers, barista is for cafe, and bartender is for bar. How about what American people call the server in a cloth store? (or any general place providing services) Thank you so much for your help!!

Best regards,

kwangin526

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Do you mean a clothes store/clothing store? A "cloth store" would be a shop selling only cloth, which is just material.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Clerk" is the general word for this type of function. "Sales clerk" to be more specific.

If it's like a supermarket where the employee doesn't help you locate and try items, they just ring up your purchases, then they are a "cashier."

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It still is the one I'd use.

kwangin526

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Do you mean a clothes store/clothing store? A "cloth store" would be a shop selling only cloth, which is just material.

Hi emsr2d2,

Thanks for pointing that out. Clearly, I didn't know the difference between these two. I meant in a clothing store. Thank you.

Best,

kwangin526

kwangin526

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
"Clerk" is the general word for this type of function. "Sales clerk" to be more specific.

If it's like a supermarket where the employee doesn't help you locate and try items, they just ring up your purchases, then they are a "cashier."

Thank you for this suggestion. I can see the point it's definitely correct. But I just wonder if it's natural if I use this term actually to call a staff in a clothing store. Would that be totally common? Thank you.

Best regards,

kwangin526

kwangin526

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
'Clerk' is not common in BrE. 'Shop assistant' was probably the most commonly used phrase in the 20th century.

Hi Piscean,

Thank you for you reply. Do you think "shop associate" would be appropriate or not? Thank you.

Best regards,

kwangin526

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm not Piscean, but I bet he'd say a big fat 'NO'.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do you think "shop associate" would be appropriate or not?

I wouldn't use it, but the language of business is becoming more and more contorted- companies go to great lengths to avoid saying that they employ people to avoid paying them things like holiday pay in the gig economy, so nothing would surprise me. However, I wouldn't use it unless my boss ordered me to do so.