Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I Choose the correct variant:

Receptionist: Good evening , sir . Can I help you?
Mr. Norman: Good evening . I wonder whether you have any vacancies. I want a single room, please.
Receptionist: Have you booked a room?

The receptionist was very busy at the moment.
1) True 2) False 3) Not stated

II Choose the right form of the word:

But at the age of five he was suddenly taken away from his ...........world and sent back to England (MAGIC)

Answers which were given in the book:
I 2) False
II magical

Do you agree with these answers?

misiania

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
II - I agree with
I - I would say 3, it is not stated. But since she answered the phone, one could assume that receptionist wasn't very busy, otherwise she would have not picked it up in the first place.

Please note: I am not a native speaker nor a teacher.

anupumh

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
For the 1st question, I would go with that she was busy. And the reason why I feel this is, that she did not acknowledge the customers query and straight away asked a question about the booking for the room.

My experience with the Customer Service industry has taught me that the first thing which you do after the customer has stated his query or problem is to acknowledge him and then move to the probing questions.
Thus as she skiped the step of acknowledgement, I would assume that she was occupied with something else.
Though let me add, there could be other reasons as well. i.e. it was late and she was not interested to answer to the call, she was not feeling well, etc.

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
II - I agree with
I - I would say 3, it is not stated. But since she answered the phone, one could assume that receptionist wasn't very busy, otherwise she would have not picked it up in the first place.

Please note: I am not a native speaker nor a teacher.

It is not stated either that the customer/guest was on the telephone. I assumed that he was there in person.

misiania

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It is not stated either that the customer/guest was on the telephone. I assumed that he was there in person.

You are right. I made an assumption. Nevertheless, above applies if receptionist was talking to him in person. If she was (VERY) busy with one thing, she wouldn't have started talking to him. Unless she is being very unprofessional.

Thanks for pointing it out :)

Last edited:

anupumh

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I Choose the correct variant:

Mr. Norman: Good evening . I wonder whether you have any vacancies. I want a single room, please.
Receptionist: Have you booked a room?

The receptionist was very busy at the moment.
1) True 2) False 3) Not stated

II Choose the right form of the word:

But at the age of five he was suddenly taken away from his ...........world and sent back to England (MAGIC)

Answers which were given in the book:
I 2) False
II magical

Do you agree with these answers?
An ideal response from th receptionist should be...

Receptionist: Sure sir, let me go ahead and check the room availability for you, meanwhile may I know have you booked any room with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.