WHAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

davidw55555

Which one is correct?

1. What I am doing for Gail is love and devotion; and what I am doing for Christine is honor and affection.

2. What I am doing for Gail are love and devotion; and what I am doing for Christine are honor and affection.

THANKS.

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Either or is fine. "is love and devotion" means 'love and devotion' are paired as a set, whereas "are love and devotion" means 'love' and devotion' are separate things.

1. What I am doing for Gail is (this:) [love and devotion];....
2. What I am doing for Gail are (these:) [love] and [devotion]; ....

By the way, 'doing...love and devotion' sounds odd; Try something like,

What I am giving Gail is my love and devotion;....
What I am giving Gail are my love and my devotion;....

All the best,

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
davidw55555 said:
Which one is correct?

1. What I am doing for Gail is love and devotion; and what I am doing for Christine is honor and affection.

2. What I am doing for Gail are love and devotion; and what I am doing for Christine are honor and affection.

THANKS.

I'm not sure I like the sentences at all. None of "love", "devotion", "honor", and "affection" are all abstract nouns. Thaey are not things one does for someone. It would be better as What I am doing for Gail is [a matter of love and devotion] [motivated by love and devotion] etc.

As they stand, I would use the singualr verb. The subject of the sentence is a noun clause. Noun clauses are almost always viewed as a singular subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.