Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
??.JPG

one of friends said to another friend of mine that 'what'd you got to lose?'

I know it is not wrong grammar. but I would like to know what makes him say like that.

and what'd is the abbreviation of what did but he said 'got' again... what did he got to lose? it makes

me really confused. please make it easier for me

Thank you very much

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are they native speakers? What makes you so sure ' it is not wrong grammar.'? I'd (=would) understand 'What've you got to lose?', but 'What'd' means either 'What had', 'What did' or 'What would', none of which suits the context.

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"What had you got to lose?" which could be contracted to "What'd you ...?" is fine but, as BobK said, it doesn't fit that context. For that exchange of messages, the writer should have used "Go for it. What've you got to lose?" meaning "What have you got to lose?" (can also be worded "What do you have to lose?")

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As someone who enters comments on Facebook from my phone, I can tell you that between clumsy thumbs and "helpful" autocorrect that takes a mistake and renders it into an entirely different mistake, this is not uncommon on Facebook.

Compared to a lot of the comments I've seen on posts, these responders are downright articulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.