What's difference between these two sentences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XINLAI-UE

Member Type
Student or Learner
If I say " There is this great place there", and could you tell me what's difference between these two sentences?

A: Have you ever been to Thailand?
B: No.
A: There is this great place down there. 30 bucks a night, hammock on the back deck, ...

Thanks and have a nice day.:-D

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
If I say " There is this great place there", and could you tell me what's difference between these two sentences?

A: Have you ever been to Thailand?
B: No.
A: There is this great place down there. 30 bucks a night, hammock on the back deck, ...

Thanks and have a nice day.:-D
If your destination is to the south, you can use "down there". It is a common phrase. Some places are considered "up" or "down" or "over" from another place.
To me no difference though.

Last edited:

XINLAI-UE

Member Type
Student or Learner
If your destination is to the south, you can use "down there". It is a common phrase. Some places are considered "up" or "down" or "over" from another place.
To me no difference though.

Hi, banderas,

Thanks for you reply.

I got you, did you mean if I wanna say the south of the place, I could use "down there". Yet, it's a common use, I also can say " I go down there" or, " There's this great place down there", which means " down there" is not exactly to mean the south of place. SO, it totally depends on the meaning from the speaker himself, right?:-D

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Hi, banderas,

Thanks for you reply.

I got you, did you mean if I wanna say the south of the place, I could use "down there". Yet, it's a common use, I also can say " I go down there" or, " There's this great place down there", which means " down there" is not exactly to mean the south of place. SO, it totally depends on the meaning from the speaker himself, right?:-D
If the place is really (geographically) to south from yours the you can say:
There is this great place (down) there. It is up to you if you use "down". It is optional as you noticed.:up:

If the place is not Really (geographically) to south but north from yours, consider using "up there". It is up to you again.;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.