What's "Rock sb." supposed to mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eric2004

Guest
If this post disappears again, I wont post anymore. :evil:
Rock sb. Blow sb. Screw sb.

what do those mean?

Pls teach me.
 

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
E

eric2004

Guest
Casiopea said:
eric2004 said:
Interesting. Thanks, girl teacher

I'm no more of a girl teacher than you are American. :wink:

This means " You're not a girl and I'm not an American?
:oops: Good expression. Then lady teacher can work out?
 

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
How about just Teacher? ;-)
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
eric2004 said:
Casiopea said:
eric2004 said:
Interesting. Thanks, girl teacher

I'm no more of a girl teacher than you are American. :wink:

This means " You're not a girl and I'm not an American?
:oops: Good expression. Then lady teacher can work out?

Adding lady/gentleman, girl/boy, or female/male works out if your intention is to compare the genders. If you would like to use 'lady' to modify teacher, then you should also use 'gentleman' so as to make the comparison equal. If your intention is not to compare the genders, that is, if your intention is simple to add a respectful tone, then drop the adjectives 'lady' and 'gentleman'. Teacher, a person who teaches, says it all in one word. :D

Amendment I of the Constitution of United States of America
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Just 'teacher' very time. ;-)
 
E

eric2004

Guest
Hmm, I prefer to use females and I don't care males. Anyway, every teacher.
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The expression "to rock somebody" may or may not have sexual meaning. "RonBee rocks!" means that RonBee is a cool guy.

:)
 
E

eric2004

Guest
RonBee said:
The expression "to rock somebody" may or may not have sexual meaning. "RonBee rocks!" means that RonBee is a cool guy.

:)

Really? So it's the opposite of "RonBee sucks or stinks",right? :wink: Rock and suck are both verb.
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In modern British English, 'rock' doesn't have a sexual connotaion that I know of. ;-)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
eric2004 said:
RonBee said:
The expression "to rock somebody" may or may not have sexual meaning. "RonBee rocks!" means that RonBee is a cool guy.

:)

Really? So it's the opposite of "RonBee sucks or stinks",right? :wink: Rock and suck are both verb.

Yes, it would be the opposite of either of those. (Guess which I prefer.) As you can imagine, I would just as soon not see "RonBee stinks".

:wink:
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
tdol said:
In modern British English, 'rock' doesn't have a sexual connotaion that I know of. ;-)

North American English
To get one's rocks off (female or male usage) :)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Casiopea said:
tdol said:
In modern British English, 'rock' doesn't have a sexual connotaion that I know of. ;-)

North American English
To get one's rocks off (female or male usage) :)

That removes all doubt.

:wink:
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
I've ever read an email by a male friend. At the end of email, he added

Rock on.

I think it's just something you say to someone to rock your life, make your life full of joyfulness. Is that right? :shock:



sabrina
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
Casiopea said:
tdol said:
In modern British English, 'rock' doesn't have a sexual connotaion that I know of. ;-)

North American English
To get one's rocks off (female or male usage) :)

From NTC's Dictionary
To get one's rocks off (on something)
meaning to enjoy something.
I'm really getting my rocks off on heavy metal. :lol:
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
I've ever read an email by a male friend. At the end of email, he added

Rock on.

I think it's just something you say to someone to rock your life, make your life full of joyfulness. Is that right? :shock:



sabrina

My guess is that "Rock on" in that context means enjoy yourself or have a good time.

I would say you've got it right.

:)
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
'Get your rocks off' does also mean 'have sex'. ;-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top