Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
1-He will arrive when we eat lunch.

Does 1 mean that he will arrive AFTER we eat lunch or WHILE we eat lunch? I think it is ambiguous and also somewhat awkward.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
navi tasan said:

Does 1 mean that he will arrive AFTER we eat lunch or WHILE we eat lunch? I think it is ambiguous and also somewhat awkward.

I agree that it is awkward. To me it means "while we are eating lunch" and I would write it that way.

G

gwendolinest

In BE, we normally use “have” or “take” rather than “eat”:

He will come when we have/take lunch / while we are having/taking lunch.

:)-))

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The British don't eat?????? :lol:

A

Anonymous

navi tasan said:

To me, it means that he could arrive from the moment we begin to eat lunch until we are finished eating lunch. He will arrive during that time. Also, I'd say the sentence implies or could imply that this will be at the beginning of the time during which we eat lunch.

A

Anonymous

MikeNewYork said:
navi tasan said:

I agree that it is awkward. To me it means "while we are eating lunch" and I would write it that way.

In addition to my first reply to this question, I'd like to say I agree with this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.