Where is the noun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sharguar

Guest
"An estimated 30% of adults were infected
with HIV virus."
"An estimated 2 million prople were infected
with HIV virus."


We know "an" is followed by a noun.
Where are the nouns in the sentences above?
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
sharguar said:
"An estimated 30% of adults were infected
with HIV virus."
"An estimated 2 million prople were infected
with HIV virus."


We know "an" is followed by a noun.
Where are the nouns in the sentences above?

An estimated thirty percent of adults...

All the best, :D
 
S

sharguar

Guest
Casiopea said:
sharguar said:
"An estimated 30% of adults were infected
with HIV virus."
"An estimated 2 million prople were infected
with HIV virus."


We know "an" is followed by a noun.
Where are the nouns in the sentences above?

An estimated thirty percent of adults...

All the best, :D

But,in theses sentences:
"An estimated 2 million people were infected with HIV virus."
" By 1889 only an estimated 541 buffalo remained."
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
sharguar said:
But, in these sentences:
"An estimated 2 million people were infected with HIV virus."
"By 1889 only an estimated 541 buffalo remained."

Consider the phrase 'a pair'. Notice the noun 'pair' is singular in number: 1 pair (singular); 2 pairs, 3 pairs (plural). In terms of semantics, 'pair' is not singular; It's plural: it represents two items e.g. a pair of shoes = two shoes. In terms of grammatical number, 'pair' is singular and 'pairs' is plural in number.

An estimated number. (Note that, the noun 'number' is singular).

An estimated 2 million people. (Note that, the noun phrase '2 million people' is plural, but that it represents a singular noun, notably 'number')

All the best, :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top