Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
The sentence:

One part of American culture which has not changed since the postwar economic boom of the 1950s is consumerism

About the relative pronoun above, which does it refer to; "one part" or "American culture"?

Taka

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Taka said:
The sentence:

One part of American culture which has not changed since the postwar economic boom of the 1950s is consumerism

About the relative pronoun above, which does it refer to; "one part" or "American culture"?

Taka

Structurally, 'which' refers to "One part of American culture". Semantically, 'which' refers to "consumerism", which is one part of American culture.

:D

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Casiopea said:
Structurally, 'which' refers to "One part of American culture".

I would also come up with the same answer with yours, Casiopea. But if you were suppsed to analize the structure more in detail, which noun would you think "which" refers to; "one part" or "American culture"?

Take another sentence for instance. In "People in Japan who work very hard...", "who" is used to describe "people in Japan". To be more presice, however, "people" is described by "who work very hard", and it is also descibed "in Japan".

If you were supposed to apply the same way of analysis, what would be your answer for "One part of American culture which has not changed..."?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Taka said:
Casiopea said:
Structurally, 'which' refers to "One part of American culture".

I would also come up with the same answer with yours, Casiopea. But if you were suppsed to analize the structure more in detail, which noun would you think "which" refers to; "one part" or "American culture"?

Take another sentence for instance. In "People in Japan who work very hard...", "who" is used to describe "people in Japan". To be more presice, however, "people" is described by "who work very hard", and it is also descibed "in Japan".

If you were supposed to apply the same way of analysis, what would be your answer for "One part of American culture which has not changed..."?

I agree with Cas's answer also. The complete subject is "one part of American culture". However, the simple subject is "part". If one had to choose an antecedent for 'which", one would have to chosse "part". The "culture" as a whole has changed; it is this "part" that hasn't changed.

One further point. The sentence is correct in British English. In American English, we normally use "that" in a restrictive relative clause that is not set off from the sentence in commas. We usually reserve "which" for a non-restrictive relative clause, which is set off from the sentence with a comma or commas.

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
MikeNewYork said:
I agree with Cas's answer also. The complete subject is "one part of American culture". However, the simple subject is "part". If one had to choose an antecedent for 'which", one would have to chosse "part". The "culture" as a whole has changed; it is this "part" that hasn't changed.

I see. Thanks, Mike!

MikeNewYork said:
One further point. The sentence is correct in British English. In American English, we normally use "that" in a restrictive relative clause that is not set off from the sentence in commas. We usually reserve "which" for a non-restrictive relative clause, which is set off from the sentence with a comma or commas.

Hmm...interesting! I didn't know that.

Thank you for the additonal information, Mike!!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Taka said:
MikeNewYork said:

I see. Thanks, Mike!

MikeNewYork said:

Thank you for the additonal infomation, Mike!!

You're very welcome.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Taka said:
MikeNewYork said:

In British English either is ecceptable in a restrictive clause, but we tend to use 'which' in more formal contexts.;-)

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
tdol said:
Taka said:
MikeNewYork said:

In British English either is ecceptable in a restrictive clause, but we tend to use 'which' in more formal contexts.;-)

Canadian English, too. :D

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Nice to see Canadians ignoring their neighbours' sub-standard English. :lol: ;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
Nice to see Canadians ignoring their neighbours' sub-standard English. :lol: ;-)

LOL! We still have standards. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.