Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hi there!

Which exam of proficiency in English do I need to take to enrol myself in a university of the UK and/or get a job in the UK? Actually, I'd appreciate it to be general.

I've thought of the CAE or the IELTS thus far. The main problem with the second is that I've got to pick up either the 'academic' or the 'general training', which's not what I'm exactly looking for.

My level must be at C1.

Thank you very much!

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Feel free to move it into another section if necessary. Any thought? Thank you.

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
All right, could anyone help me with this? CAE, IELTS, TOEIC, TOEFL... It's pretty confusing, isn't it?

Last edited:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
To get into university, IELTS is probably the exam of choice, though TOEFL is also fine.

TOEIC- Popular in some Asian countries, this is not well-known in the UK. I wouldn't touch it.

CAE is a good advanced qualification that is fine for things like working generally.

What exactly are you looking for?

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
To get into university, IELTS is probably the exam of choice, though TOEFL is also fine.

TOEIC- Popular in some Asian countries, this is not well-known in the UK. I wouldn't touch it.

CAE is a good advanced qualification that is fine for things like working generally.

What exactly are you looking for?

Next year in the UK, I'd like first to get into Uni -main aim- and why not provide a secure certification of my English level to some potential employers, so I could work while I'd study.

You've cleared up the stuff of which exam'd be more recognised and more preferable in the UK. Well, I'm currently studying Law and going to take the Law degree this year. IELTS could certainly happen to be an adaquate choice for my purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.