Which is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redzone

Member Type
Other
I have always written "an historic ....", but now I see newspapers printing "a historic ...". Which is correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have always written "an historic ....", but now I see newspapers printing "a historic ...". Which is correct?

This dates back a very long time and can be blamed on "an hotel". Because the word "hotel" originally came from the French, where the "h" isn't sounded, it sounds like the word begins with a vowel sound, consequently "an". This then started to be applied to lots of words that begin with an "h".

However, the important thing to consider is how the word is pronounced. If a word begins with a sounded vowel (hotel, historic) then we use "a", but if the "h" is unvoiced (honour), then it's "an".

So - a historic is correct now!

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This dates back a very long time and can be blamed on "an hotel". Because the word "hotel" originally came from the French, where the "h" isn't sounded, it sounds like the word begins with a vowel sound, consequently "an". This then started to be applied to lots of words that begin with an "h".

However, the important thing to consider is how the word is pronounced. If a word begins with a sounded vowel (hotel, historic) then we use "a", but if the "h" is unvoiced (honour), then it's "an".

I have no real argument w/emsr2d2's post except to say that because speakers of English and probably speakers of other languages tend to collapse/blend two words into one, and specifically the word "historic", it becomes difficult or,at least, "inconvenient" to say "a historic". So, most often you will hear AmE speakers pronounce the phrase as "an istoric" as if there were no "h".

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

In my daughter's 2010 GCSE History course, "an historic(al)" is used throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.