Not open for further replies.

CO2emission

Member Type
Academic
The program is a State-led initiative.
The program is a state lead initiative.
The program is a state led initiative.
The program is a state-led initiative.

As you will notice this is present tense.
I have seen all four forms on documents from various university departments.
Can I please ask for an explanation or reference for your choice?
Thank you for your consideration and advice.:-D

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
Without fuller context, I would say that "State-led" indicates a specific state within a country, and "state" [lower case] indicates a governmentally led initiative.

verso

Member Type
Student or Learner
I would probably opt for the last one, because I just don't see a reason for why the word "state" needs to be made capital. The hyphen is appropriate because it clears up any confusion over its bringing the two words together to form an adjective.

CO2emission

Member Type
Academic
Without fuller context, I would say that "State-led" indicates a specific state within a country, and "state" [lower case] indicates a governmentally led initiative.

Thank you for your thoughts. What about lead or led or are both correct?

CO2emission

Member Type
Academic
Again, without context I would go for "led".
Hi again,
The context is, I am trying to form up a learning program for nurses about adolescent health. On the front page there is a subheader,
Learning outcomes support knowledge with reference to:
  • assessment led interventions
  • risk taking behaviours
  • young parenting
  • state led initiatives
  • etc
  • etc
As Australia follows English english I am grateful of your expertise. Other blogs are volunteering a variety of answers. The copy I have of the Oxford dictionary doesn't provide an example that I can compare. Once again thankyou.:)

Last edited:

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
Hi again,
The context is, I am trying to form up a learning program for nurses about adolescent health. On the front page there is a subheader,
Learning outcomes support knowledge with reference to:
  • assessment-led interventions
  • risk-taking behaviours
  • young parenting
  • state-led initiatives
  • etc
  • etc
As Australia follows English english I am grateful of your expertise. Other blogs are volunteering a variety of answers. The copy I have of the Oxford dictionary doesn't provide an example that I can compare. Once again thankyou.:)

With this as context, I would certainly use "led", and would also [for clarity] hyphenate as indicated.

Horsa

Member Type
English Teacher
I also prefer the last one. That said, the capitalisation is probably a matter of choice. The hyphen because it is to act as a single adjective. Led because it is the past participle and that's what we use to make adjectives.

Status
Not open for further replies.