Which is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiona_toh

Member Type
English Teacher
I will like to know how we can explain why the term database is not spelt separately. Am I correct by saying that only compound adjective is spelt separately and not compound nouns?

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
I suspect because it has become the accepted term for a computerized collection of material.

Compound nouns can be two words: swimming pool, dry-cleaning, full moon - sometimes hyphenated, sometimes not.

fiona_toh

Member Type
English Teacher
But I searched from the internet and found an article that says database is not spelt separately nor used with a hyphen. Data base or data-base are considered obsolete. I just wonder what could be the reason that those two are not acceptable. Is there any grammatical reason for that? I am very interested to know reasons.(if any)

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
Originally it was used as two words: data base or data-base. Over time it has become a combined word: database - probably because people started to write it as one word and just never corrected it.

That is what happens!;-)

jctgf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
hi,
when a proper first name is a combination of two names, like ''jean-pierre'' or ''juan carlos'', is it also a compound name?
thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.