Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct?

chameleon82

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct?

1. I am hoping our leaders would soon wake-up from an state of unconsciousness and will take some sensible decisions.

2. I am hoping our leaders would soon wake-up from an state of unconsciousness and take some sensible decisions.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sentence 2 is closer. Use will, replace the hyphen with a space, and use the correct indefinite article before a consonant sound and you'll have a correct sentence.

We make decisions in American English, but I think take is okay in the British variety.

chameleon82

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Sentence 2 is closer. Use will, replace the hyphen with a space, and use the correct indefinite article before a consonant sound and you'll have a correct sentence.

We make decisions in American English, but I think take is okay in the British variety.

I used indefinite article "an" because the word "state" has a vowel sound. Can you please guide me further about it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why do you think the word "state" starts with a vowel sound?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I used indefinite article "an" because the word "state" has a vowel sound. Can you please guide me further about it.

Native English speakers can pronounce st at the beginning of a word without adding the short vowel that some non-native speakers find necessary. It's our pronunciation that guides the rule.

If you find it impossible to say state without an initial vowel (i.e., pronouncing it like estate), you can use the sound of the word a as that vowel (when "a" is necessary, of course).