Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,
Please look at the following question:
At first everything went well with the project but recently we have had a number of_____with the machinery.
A) disturbances C) outputs
B) setbacks D) distortions

A or B? I am not sure. it seems the answer should be A because setback usually means frustration. But if A is correct, why isn't the preposition following the blank "by" or "from"? Is "with" ok here?
Besides, Dictionary told me that setback can mean "problem" sometimes, so " we have had a number of problems with the machinery" seems correct now. :-(
I am puzzled, help me and tell me why plz, thanks

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
japanjapan said:
Dear teachers,
At first everything went well with the project but recently we have had a number of_____with the machinery.

A or B? I am not sure. it seems the answer should be A because setback usually means frustration. But if A is correct, why isn't the preposition following the blank "by" or "from"? Is "with" ok here?
Besides, Dictionary told me that setback can mean "problem" sometimes, so " we have had a number of problems with the machinery" seems correct now. :-(

'distrubance' is usually related to emotions.

B) is the best choice. :D

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If there were disturbances in a factory, I'd say it was because of the workers not the machines.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
japanjapan said:
Dear teachers,

I agree that "setbacks" is correct. "Setbacks with" is fine, it means "setbacks involving". :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.