Which sentence is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anatoly

1. I'm living in England during 7 months only and I need improve my English as soon as possible.
2. I've been living in England for 7 months only and I need to improve my English as soon as possible.
3. I've lived in England for 7 months only and I need to improve my English as soon as possible.
Thanks in advance!

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Best, I think, is number two, but you need to change the wording a little, thus: "I've been living in England for only 7 months, and I need to improve my English as soon as possible." (You might also want to make it "seven months" instead of "7 months".)

What do you think?

:wink:

Anatoly

RonBee said:
Best, I think, is number two, but you need to change the wording a little, thus: "I've been living in England for only 7 months, and I need to improve my English as soon as possible." (You might also want to make it "seven months" instead of "7 months".)

What do you think?

:wink:
Yeah, I liked the second sentence the most, regarding to prepositions, tense and ‘to-infinitive’. Thank you very much for the explanation about ‘only’, but I didn’t understand about ‘7’ and ‘seven’. Did you mean native speakers prefer words to figures in writing?
:)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Generally speaking, numbers one to ten are written out. (With some people it's numbers one to twenty.) For numbers higher than that the numerals are used. It's a convention.

8)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd use the convention in letter writing and any formal text. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.