which sentence is wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

malmo

It is me who won the first prize last year.
It is I who won the first prize last year.

thank you in advance

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England

thank you in advance

Grammatically speaking and taking purism into consideration, I state that the correct sentence is the second one.

Who won the first prize last year?
I won the first prize last year.
It is I who won the first prize last year

Compare this:
Who(m) did you beat in the competition last week?
I beat Marcus/him in the competition last week.
It was Marcus/him (NOT he) that I beat in the competition last week
:)

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Grammatically speaking and taking purism into consideration, I state that the correct sentence is the second one.

Who won the first prize last year?
I won the first prize last year.

Compare this:
Who(m) did you beat in the competition last week?
I beat Marcus/him in the competition last week.
It was Marcus/him (NOT he) that I beat in the competition last week.
:)

I completely agree with you:-D here (and I like you explanation) although I bet there ate many natives who say
it is me who won the prize last year.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
I completely agree with you:-D here (and I like you explanation) although I bet there ate many natives who say
it is me who won the prize last year.

Yes, but my question is whether it is okay to use a past form of the verb in the who-clause and a present form of the verb to be in the main clause?

It is I who won...
or
It was I who won...

(I'm talking about the parallelism between the tenses used).
:-?

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Yes, but my question is whether it is okay to use a past form of the verb in the who-clause and a present form of the verb to be in the main clause?

It is I who won...
or
It was I who won...

(I'm talking about the parallelism between the tenses used).
:-?

Let us picture such a situation, shall we?
You invited a girl to the party one week ago. Now we are walking outside in the park and we are bumping into her accidentally. I do not know her so you want to introduce her to me, right.

"it is the girl I invited......"

I would not considered you wrong if you said
"it was the girl I invited...."
Both forms seem correct:)

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Both forms seem correct:)

You may be right, but a few years ago I was asked a question of the same kind by one of my pupils and couldn't answer it. It so happens that ever since I have not been able to give an answer to the question myself. That pupil had been told by his teacher that it was wrong to use two different tenses in this type of sentence. :shock:

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
You may be right, but a few years ago I was asked a question of the same kind by one of my pupils and couldn't answer it. It so happens that ever since I have not been able to give an answer to the question myself. That pupil had been told by his teacher that it was wrong to use two different tenses in this type of sentence. :shock:

In this specific example the past tense we use telling the story has to be consistent as all the events happened in the past
"It was the last time that I had to go there as the doctor took out the stitches".

it is not always the case though. we are bumping into the girl in the present so you say it is the girl....who you invited ti the party in the past.:)

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
"it is the girl I invited......"

I would not considered you wrong if you said
"it was the girl I invited...."

Funny thing, but it was only a moment ago that I realized that your sentence is a sentence of different type to the sentence in question.

It is the girl (who/whom/that) I invited to the party last week. (identification through relative clause)
It was the girl who/that I invited to the party last week. (and not the boy, for example) = I invited the girl, not the boy, to the party last week. (defining through cleft sentence)

;-)

Last edited:

beascarpetta

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Austria
I'd still opt for
"It was me who won the prize ...last year"

just gut feeling I suppose ;-)

Last edited:

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
In this specific example the past tense we use telling the story has to be consistent as all the events happened in the past
"It was the last time that I had to go there as the doctor took out the stitches".

:up:

Jakeboy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Funny thing, but it was only a moment ago that I realized that your sentence is a sentence of different type to the sentence in question.

It is the girl (who/whom/that) I invited to the party last week. (identification through relative clause)
It was the girl who/that I invited to the party last week. (and not the boy, for example) = I invited the girl, not the boy, to the party last week. (defining through cleft sentence)
;-)
Yes, I agree with you any more. In general use "is" is OK, but if you want to stress the girl who was the girl in the party last week, you should use "was".Am I right?

Neillythere

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand

thank you in advance

I've come across this thread quite late in the discussion, and although I would agree that the 2nd sentence is technically correct, I would rather have said: "I am the one who won the first prize last year".

"It is I ..." would only be used, I believe, in prose etc, (as in: "It is I, Romeo ......." etc)not in normal speech.

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
I've come across this thread quite late in the discussion, and although I would agree that the 2nd sentence is technically correct, I would rather have said: "I am the one who won the first prize last year".

"It is I ..." would only be used, I believe, in prose etc, (as in: "It is I, Romeo ......." etc)not in normal speech.
I agree with you.

This depends on how much you want your sentence to sound like real spoken English.
For real spoken English, It is me...
For grammatically correct unnatural-sounding grammar-book English, it is I....
that by the way sounds a bit archaic...
I find it interesting that Dr. Grammar writes:

"It is I or it is me? According to the Merriam Webster's Dictionary of the English Language,"...instead of the old choice between right and wrong we are now choosing a style; it is a choice that is much closer to the reality of usage than the old one was...Clearly, both the it is I and it's me patterns are in reputable use and have been for a considerable time. It is I tends to be used in more formal or more stuffy situations; it's me predominates in real and fictional speech and in a more relaxed writing style."

It reminds me of "how are you? I am good" instead of "fine". Every one has been using (predominantly ) " I am good" which became commonly accepted. I encounter simliar language situation in my native language too.
I mean, this is one of those odd instances where the gramatically incorrect form is so commonplace that it's now considered correct.
What do you think?

Neillythere

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi Folks

I'm a Brit, but not a teacher.

Shalala: Can you please identify whether or not you speak with the authority of a recognised English teacher or not, as per the Site rules.

Hi banderas. Many thanks for your very excellent post.
The only item I would query is the last paragraph.

I would personally never say: "I'm good"
I might say: "I'm well", if I'd recently been ill
I would say:"I'm fine"", whether or not I'd recently been ill.

Regards

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Hi Folks

I'm a Brit, but not a teacher.

Shalala: Can you please identify whether or not you speak with the authority of a recognised English teacher or not, as per the Site rules.

Hi banderas. Many thanks for your very excellent post.
The only item I would query is the last paragraph.

I would personally never say: "I'm good"
I might say: "I'm well", if I'd recently been ill
I would say:"I'm fine"", whether or not I'd recently been ill.

Regards
thank you for your answer. I woul not like any one to get me wrong as it does not bother me if I hear "I am good". Actually I am passionate about English and try to find out as much as possible about it. I also have an impression that Americans tend more to say "I am good" than Brits do.Technically it is a mistake but as RonBee said if majority of speakers used "I am good" then it was good. There is something in it...

Last edited:

Neillythere

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
I agree.

Although I wouldn't personally use: "I'm good", I would understand what someone else meant and wouldn't object to it.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.