Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Ireland
"However, he said he would not be intimidated out of his home by whoever was behind the attacks."
This is from the BBC no less.
BBC News - DUP councillor George Duddy's home targeted in second graffiti threat

I would have said that "whomever" was correct in the above sentence.

The reason I would choose "whomever" is akin to the rules for using who/whom, and it being correct to use who where it is a substitute for I, you, he, she etc and whom as a substitute for me, you, him, her etc.

Any views?

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
See the first of the "Similar Threads" below for clarification. :up:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would use whoever. Here, it does come after a preposition, but it is subject of was, which is the reason for my choice, but to be honest I very rarely use whomever.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"However, he said he would not be intimidated out of his home by whoever was behind the attacks."
This is from the BBC no less.
BBC News - DUP councillor George Duddy's home targeted in second graffiti threat

I would have said that "whomever" was correct in the above sentence.

The reason I would choose "whomever" is akin to the rules for using who/whom, and it being correct to use who where it is a substitute for I, you, he, she etc and whom as a substitute for me, you, him, her etc.

Any views?

I agree with Tdol. When a who/whom word is the subject of clause, you need the nominative form, even if the clause is the object of a preposition. This is one of the most difficult aspects of who/whom usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.